Pro HTML5 Games

All development related reviews. Engines, Tutorials, books, ect.
xcalpro

Pro HTML5 Games

Post by xcalpro »

Came across this site http://www.adityaravishankar.com/pro-html5-games/ which is the author of Pro HTML5 Games book. This book covers everything I have been looking for as far as learning to create games in HTML5 with JavaScript.

This guy even managed to recreate Command & Conquer in HTML5. Pretty impressive since he did it alone in 4 weeks. The site is full of helpful tutorials and articles on HTML5/JS game programming.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
dbest

Re: Pro HTML5 Games

Post by dbest »

Nice link and I am certainly gonna pick one copy.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I saw that C&C game a while back, and it was crazy! I will have to check out the book sometime, too.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
adityars

Post by adityars »

Hey,

Author of the book here... Thanks for the mention...

I wanted to create something that would inspire programmers to start making games on a bigger scale and that they could use as a reference for when they made their own games...

I really hope you enjoy the book... Would love to hear your thoughts once you have a chance to read the book...

Also check out http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projec ... d-conquer/ ... This is a working recreation of Command and Conquer entirely in HTML5... It uses a similar engine to the one I describe in my book..

I wrote the original version in three weeks sitting at home.... The latest version includes in-game videos, and working multiplayer :)

Hopefully it will give you some more inspiration to get started into making your games...

Good luck in your game programming journey... :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wow thanks for stopping by!

I have a small RTS through the browser set of tutorials but no whee near the scale of what you have done. Mine was mainly to help people with Ajax. I am definitely going to grab the book and amazing work on the recreation!
dbest

Post by dbest »

adityars wrote:Hey,

Author of the book here... Thanks for the mention...

I wanted to create something that would inspire programmers to start making games on a bigger scale and that they could use as a reference for when they made their own games...

I really hope you enjoy the book... Would love to hear your thoughts once you have a chance to read the book...

Also check out http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projec ... d-conquer/ ... This is a working recreation of Command and Conquer entirely in HTML5... It uses a similar engine to the one I describe in my book..

I wrote the original version in three weeks sitting at home.... The latest version includes in-game videos, and working multiplayer :)

Hopefully it will give you some more inspiration to get started into making your games...

Good luck in your game programming journey... :)
Your book is awesome dude! Thanks for the wonderful work
adityars

Post by adityars »

Thanks guys... Appreciate the warm feedback... :)

I am available at my site for questions regarding the book or any game projects that you start using the book...

Also, if you enjoyed the book, I would really appreciate a review for Pro HTML5 Games on Amazon so that more people get to hear about the book and your experience with it ...
dbest

Post by dbest »

adityars wrote:Thanks guys... Appreciate the warm feedback... :)

I am available at my site for questions regarding the book or any game projects that you start using the book...

Also, if you enjoyed the book, I would really appreciate a review for Pro HTML5 Games on Amazon so that more people get to hear about the book and your experience with it ...
Purchased it from Apress, but will give it a review on Amazon, when time permits.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Ohh, I forgot that I got this book on Kindle, so I can actually give it a Verified Purchaser review :) Once I get at least a few chapters in, I will write one up. I am looking forward to get to it, for both of the game projects (an Angry Birds clone that uses Box2D JS, and an RTS game). Both of those game projects have a lot of applicability today and would give you the foundation for making tons of great games. I am particularly excited about the Angry Birds-style game, since physics games really ease-up the difficulty of content creation, Box2D handles the heavy lifting, and physics games are red-hot right now :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
dbest

Post by dbest »

My dream game, that I shared earlier on the forum, is an RTS game, so this book is gonna give me the headstart that I need. :)

Return to “Development Related”