password reset/e-mail sent tute

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
Callan S.

password reset/e-mail sent tute

Post by Callan S. »

I tried a quick search for e-mail confirmation (which is similar), but nothing came up. I'm writing up a sort of blank canvas at the moment (has registration with string clensing, a guest log in and ability to convert guest to registered account) and I think an ability to reset a password is pretty critical (something I wish driftwurld had). Either a tute on it (or just ideas on the best security method of password reset) or if there's a tute out there for sending e-mails someone could link to! Thanks all! :)
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
Jackolantern

Re: password reset/e-mail sent tute

Post by Jackolantern »

Man, I lost all my bookmarks when I reformatted my computer a few months ago, but that site that had a written-out tutorial series on making a PBBG had a section specifically for email registration and confirmation. The site was called something like buildabrowsergame.com or something like...
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Here is it! There is a page in there on creating email confirmation pages.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Thanks, Jack!

Does that tend to be testable on wampserver? Or generally only on a host?
I'm getting this error...

Code: Select all

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\wamp\www\ZZZ Downloaded Code\emailsend.php on line 10
Foofighter

Post by Foofighter »

running on wamp if u install an email server - found this link on it
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5773 ... send-email
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Pretty much like Foo said. Wamp does not come with a mail server. They made the decision (whether right or wrong) that many developers don't test email capabilities on their dev machine. XAMPP went the other way and includes Mercury mail server as part of the installation (although some do say that XAMPP is a little heavy for a basic dev installation). You could just pick up and install Mercury on your own, though, and configure it, at which point you will be able to test email sending capabilities. Here is a link to Mercury Mail (aka Pegasus Mail). There are also many other competing mail servers if that is too heavy for simply testing :)

Return to “Tutorials”