A great idea:)

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
Skarabeol

A great idea:)

Post by Skarabeol »

It is possible to make a browsergame like this?
<<Click Me>>
Who can help me, i know everythink about this game:D

Edit:Sorry for my english
ConceptDestiny

Re: A great idea:)

Post by ConceptDestiny »

What is your skill set? I don't think anybody would be willing to code an entire game engine for you.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Skarabeol wrote:It is possible to make a browsergame like this?
Well that was a rather stupid question to be honest. ;)

I'm off to bed.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Of course it is possible, since it exists. The real question is, do you have the ability to make a game like it? That is a very advanced browser game that likely took a group of 5 or 10 highly-skilled people a year or two to complete. As Concept said, no one here or anywhere else will make a game for free for you. If we did, it would be our game and we would run it ourselves!

My best advice is to check out the tutorials on this forum and learn the basics of PHP. Make a small game, and work up from there. You may find that you like playing games a lot more than making them and you just wanted to have your complete game, not go through the hard work of making a game, and that is fine (a lot of people do come to that conclusion). But maybe you will find you do enjoy browser game development. In that case, you can keep working on projects of increasing complexity. You may never complete something like Tribal Wars, but you can make some pretty nifty games!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Skarabeol

Post by Skarabeol »

Chris wrote:
Skarabeol wrote:It is possible to make a browsergame like this?
Well that was a rather stupid question to be honest. ;)

I'm off to bed.
I mean to say "I can?" not "It is possible".......sometimes i am very idiot:))
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

While it is kind of a disheartening answer, the answer is likely "no". That is kind of like asking "Can I make a game like Halo by myself?". Now if you got a small, highly-skilled team to work with you, you may be able to. Tribal Wars is a AAA commercial browser-based game. It likely had a decently-sized budget as well as a team of professional developers and artists who were being paid full-time wages to create it. The management team likely had team leading experience from a plethora of other projects under their belt before they produced this game.

Again, start with the tutorials, learn the basics, and I think it will become pretty obvious how much work a game like that would take after working for 2 or 3 months to make a decent text-only game in PHP.
Ravinos

Post by Ravinos »

Wow I remember this one. This is the game that spawned most of the modern kingdom style games like Evony, Kingdoms of Camelot, Lord of Ultima, etc. The thing that gets me and I guess why people love Tribal Wars is that it's simple. There is no flash or flare to it. It's as basic as basic can get for this kind of game, which isn't a terrible thing. I hate games that hide their flaws and poor coding behind mountains of shiny graphics.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hmmm...maybe I had initially over-estimated the game's graphics. I actually thought I saw a video on YouTube showing it as being fully animated a la Flash.

@Skarabeol:

After you finish the main tutorial series, look at Halls' other video series', Forsaken Sanctum and Urban Realms. You would basically have the foundation to do most of the things that Tribal Wars has. The point still stands, though, that from a gameplay, development and artistic standpoint, this is quite an advanced game that took a ton of work from a group of people.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

also look at the javascript and ajax tuts.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I thought the FS and UR tutorials were the JS and AJAX tuts. Where are those, or what are they labeled as?

Return to “Tutorials”