Website SEO question.

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Torniquet

Website SEO question.

Post by Torniquet »

Hey yall.

Just a quick question i would like your views on really.

The company i work for is currently expanding and wants to really hit out on the web, 1 way they intend on doing this is by opening a website for each of the sectors in the company.

This would involve 7-8 indevidual websites each connected only by links.

my question to you all is this. Which do you think/know to be more effective when it comes to getting your name out on the internet... multiple sites for one company like the above example, or a single site split up by subdomains?

I personally think its the later or the 2, but i am interested in seeing what other peoples opinions are.

Thanks xxx
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
PaxBritannia

Re: Website SEO question.

Post by PaxBritannia »

That's a very good question.

I've worked in SEO for quite a while now, and the major search engines all treat subdomains as independent sites. That is, from the search engines point of view, they would be as if they were on separate domains.

To make it easier for yourselves to brand the sites, I would personally put them on subdomains just so someone doesn't park a domain you want later on and upset your domain naming scheme.

Still, some people deliberately split their company/brand between several sites and have them all link to their main overview site. This is inarguably the best setup for SEO, however, it relies on the 'mini-sites' having backlinks from 3rd party sites in order to see any increase in traffic.

As for linking the sites together, normal links will be fine, although you may want to consider adding 'nofollow' tags to outgoing links, in order for your own internal links to have more authority.

pax.

Return to “WebSite”