3D game help

Need help with an engine or coding not on the list? Need help with a game or the website and forums here? Direct all questions here.
Kintama

3D game help

Post by Kintama »

i want to make a 3d MMORPG game like

Runes of magic
/ world of warcraft some thing on them lines how would i make one like that meaning What ProGrams are best to use and stuff like that and were you can make charater like
Orc , Elf , Human and that stuff
SpiritWebb

Re: 3D game help

Post by SpiritWebb »

Well, my team is using Unity 3D.

If your wanting to go commercial, then Unity 3D or Blender 3D would be good. If you don't want to go commercial, you could still use those too or the Unreal Engine like what Halls is using. (Note: Unreal Engine uses extreme amount of power.)

If you want to go with creating and using simple programming, my suggestion is Unity 3D. Powerful and easy to use once you get the hang of it. And the programming language you can use are either Javascript or C# or boo (derivitive of Python) We are using Javascript.

D3luxe

Re: 3D game help

Post by D3luxe »

Kintama wrote:i want to make a 3d MMORPG game like

Runes of magic
/ world of warcraft some thing on them lines how would i make one like that meaning What ProGrams are best to use and stuff like that and were you can make charater like
Orc , Elf , Human and that stuff
I don't think you completely understand the concept of making a MMO..

There aren't programs out there where you just select "Elf" and it'll create a customizable Elf model for you. You have to physically model, rig, and animate everything you would see in-game (characters, buildings, props, trees, the ground, everything)

Look at it this way. On average, for roughly a 40 man team (which is a very small team for a MMO), backed by millions of dollars, it takes them several years to even get a Beta out.

Things you will have to do:
Model every single prop, character, item, building, monster, cave, etc.
Rig and animate everything that moves.
Code an inventory system
Code and balance every spell and ability for every character class
Code and balance every monster, along with creating calculations for exp, defense, levels, attacks, etc.
Code any extra systems you want (bank, friends, instances, etc)
Code a quest system

That is just the bare minimum. Hundreds of thousands of lines of code, thousands of hours of modelling (easily.) It is an enormous undertaking, and it seems that from your knowledge (that you're coming here to ask how to create an elf, for example), it would be impossible for you to finish.

Lets say that some how, magically, you do manage to finish all of that and actually create an MMO. You have to create a stable enough multiplayer framework that can support hundreds or thousands of players at once. Then, when you actually do have that, how do you plan on supporting the servers they run on? Your home computer and internet connection would only be able to have a MAX of 15 players online at a time, so that's out of the question.

I don't mean to discourage you, and I think it's great that you want to make something of this caliber, but with your knowledge and experience it just isn't possible. I suggest joining up with a team on smaller game projects first..stepping stones.

Not to mention the only public framework that is fairly cheap and even remotely capable of making an MMO is the Torque MMOkit, which is a complete and utter waste of time. You would have to create an entirely new framework to support hundreds of players if you wanted to use Unreal or anything like that.

I've been developing games for roughly 6 years now, coding for longer than that and modelling for about 3 years. I'm currently in school for Game Design. I have no where near the knowledge or resources capable of doing this, so don't take anything I've said offensively, I'm just trying to put it in perspective for you.
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM

Return to “Advanced Help and Support”