Project

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Xaos

Project

Post by Xaos »

Hey all. I'm taking AP Computer Science (Java) online. The instructor has been mediocre and the assignments/tests/quizzes are dumb, not asking what you know/have learned but using purposefully confusing details to force bad grades. I'm not one to blame a teacher, but yeesh. Anyway. I need to truly buckle down and code myself for the AP exam in two weeks, so i'm going to create something. It needs to use alot of different classes/constructors. Anybody got any ideas? Nothing too difficult, but something that would cover most of the basics and really require alot of OOP concepts. Without a GUI is an important one too ;)
Jackolantern

Re: Project

Post by Jackolantern »

Without a GUI? Hmmm...how about a simulation? Just take some kind of fairly complex process or situation, create classes to represent the things involved in that situation, and then create a main method to run it all. I think that would give enough opportunities to create parent/child class relationships, use polymorphism, use interfaces, etc.

It would also work well considering you don't want to make a GUI (although Swing can be nice to teach OOP principles, too, since you write Swing code almost entirely by creating objects, passing those objects into methods, changing accessor method values, etc.).

Maybe an environmental simulation, where you could create classes of animals and plants? You could create fairly large inheritance hierarchies (organism --> animal --> mammal --> fox, and organism --> plant --> tree --> oakTree, for example). They all need to eat and procreate, with plants forming the bottom level of the foodchain (although only certain creatures can eat the wood of a tree!), then insects, then small animals and then apex predators. You could then have some fun seeing what happens if you increase the food supply too much, then decrease it, increase animal breeding times, decrease them, etc. See how you can perfect your environment to make everything live as long as possible.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Development”