LKH and Modeling Life

Keep it clean but fun.
Last Known Hero

LKH and Modeling Life

Post by Last Known Hero »

Hey guys,

I figured now that I have been doing some upgrading on my workflow that I could share with some of you incase you decide to start doing 3D modeling, or for existing 3D artists here. I'll start off with the programs I use.

My main modelling tool is 3DSMax,which I now upgraded to 2010 and I enjoy the change in the color scheme. I started off modelling using AC3D, and to be honest I still use it sometimes. But the leap from AC3D to Max was pretty large, the interface on max is much more daunting than it actually looks. I have been working with Max for almost 2 years now, maybe more. I do my skinning and basic modeling in it and enjoy learning new things from various tutorials and concepts in my head.

The Second program in my workflow is ZBrush 3.0, I wish that I had 3.5 because I LOVE the new feature for Surface Noise. I use Zbrush for quick form modeling (more explanation later) and for its incredible normal map generation. I generally sculpt studies of the anatomy, defining each muscle group and trying to pay close attention, when I truly mean to spend some time on the anatomy I can spend about a day per muscle group, then after I have everything sketched out (for proportions) I go back through and define even further using ZBrushes HD Sculpt (AMAZING tool) it allows me to sculpt at 1 billion or more polys. I start to add details like where you would be able to see the muscle conecting, tendons, veins, sometimes skin detail but I have a hard time making it look realistic.

After Zbrush I bring my models (hopefully low poly enough) back into Max where I starting assigning different things to this and that. After I get everything to where I am happy with it or even remotely satisfied I render it out using Brazil v2 Rendering software from inside Max. I'm still learning lighting (I know, thats what makes things look realistic) but it's harder than what some people think.

If I decide to creat a diffuse map (color map) for the model I export the map via ZBrush where I use their poly paint tool to block out where general things are going to be. Example: if I want mesh somewhere, I'll color that red and then that area I will know gets a mesh texture. Once I export the diffuse blocked out area I bring the picture into Photoshop CS3 that I got with my tablet, and starting breaking down the extra large detail, to large detail, to medium detail, to small detail, to fine detail, then finally to the refining point where I fix tiny errors that annoy me.

I've yet to have a model take me more than 4 days to complete, usually the time they take are 3 days. The problem with my process is that I very rarely sketch my idea out. I will create the model one day, saving constantly. Then wake up the next morning with fresh eyes and pretty much start the whole thing over (my Captain America bust took me 4 days. 3 of those days where testing out different aspects, while the last day I started with the base mesh, sculpted and finally got to where I was happy with it).

The whole thing with modeling with me lately has been rather, not easy but, less time consuming. I have been modeling for a long time now and after a while you start to build up assets making your creations easier. I have a base lowpoly male model (newly upgraded as of last night with new hands, and soon to be new head), base lowpoly female model, base hipoly male model, base hipoly female model, base horse and base dog. I think I may have more but these assets make modelling more enjoyable.

Me and Modeling

During my whole working experience I always have MSN running in the background (it's nice to have human interaction lol) and my Windows Media Player, I am always listening to music while I create. I generally have concept pictures in the background but if they are clear enough photos I print them off and tack them up beside my monitor for quick reference without interrupting the scultping process. On a weekend sculpt I have cans of Nestea all around me (I hate drinking pops I don't know why but I have a craving for it when I'm sculpting on the weekend). I have a few books sitting beside me on the left for more reference. I carry my Max Bible, Max Modeling for Games, newly added 3DArtist Master Lighting, and a general reading book When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops, which really doesn't contain any religious aspect.

I take breaks every hour to make sure to rest my eyes (I've always had good eyesight, I don't wanna screw it up) by going outside to look in the distance. I take a 1-2 hour break a day to go to the gym. I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night (more on weekends) my job lately has actually been modeling for people which has me PUMPED!! So I don't work anywhere other than at school and 3D. I eat healthy, drink skimmed milk and water. No fast food, excercise regularly. Hobbies other than modeling are MMA, the gym and stuff with friends.

Some of my goals with 3D Modeling have evolved over the years. It started with me and Halls, where I wanted to just create 3D models for a game. Then it developed into me not modeling for a while do to personal reasons. After things calmed down I started to pick up with modeling again but still used AC3D which made me quite disappointed because it lacks features that things like Max and Maya have. After a few months of whirling around with AC3D I started using Max, I really hated it at first, I couldnt do anything special like create characters or visually stunning art pieces. I kept at it somehow and then I got more familiar with using it, started to learn how to model organic beings and got the hang of making other basic things. But once I came out knowing how to make things with Max I wanted to not just be in the game making industry but to actually be a Freelance 3D artist and maybe get some pay for it. Here I am, a year later from learning Max and still learning (and faster than ever) and finally got a freelance job, after I finished that job I recieved another. Things have calmed down now for it but I learned more in the 2 weeks of those projects than I did in the 3 months before that. Pay actually makes a difference, you see how you could improve this and that. The newest goal for me has been to create a peice of art that I am actually confident enough to get 3D Printed.

I know this has been a LOOOONG boring story but I've never really shared all of it, there is alot more to it but this is pretty much my life and 3D and how my workflow is. If you guys actually do want to know more about me or my workflow please feel free to ask, if I know, I will share :)

-LKH
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: LKH and Modeling Life

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

very good read and some good info . Thanks I say you keep it going. Like a dev diary.
Last Known Hero

Thanks, and that doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'll try to post atleast once a week :)
Power3DArt

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

i am building a dev diary section to the site as we speak :)
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

I felt like I just read my own life story, lol. Pretty much everything youve said describes me exactly as well. The only difference is I've only been seriously modelling for maybe 4-5 months now, and just recently started ZBrush.
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
Last Known Hero

D3luxe wrote:I felt like I just read my own life story, lol. Pretty much everything youve said describes me exactly as well. The only difference is I've only been seriously modelling for maybe 4-5 months now, and just recently started ZBrush.
Trust me on this, if you want to learn, start posting on a variety of websites that you are available to work to make vehicles, you learn alot more about your technique when it comes down to whether or not you get paid.

Also ZBrush will fast grow into being one of your main tools, if you do organic that is.
Power3DArt

Perry

Post by Perry »

Last Known Hero wrote:
D3luxe wrote:I felt like I just read my own life story, lol. Pretty much everything youve said describes me exactly as well. The only difference is I've only been seriously modelling for maybe 4-5 months now, and just recently started ZBrush.
Trust me on this, if you want to learn, start posting on a variety of websites that you are available to work to make vehicles, you learn alot more about your technique when it comes down to whether or not you get paid.
I agree. I was on a team one time helping program but we only had one modeller and we needed someone to make buildings. So I figured what the hell can't be that hard just four walls with holes in it(that was wrong and I now know that :D ). I got to working on it and you will be surprised how much better I did knowing I was going to have to show someone instead of just making them for myself...
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

Yeah I plan on starting up freelance soon. I am probably gonna wait until early january..That'll give me another couple months to get everything down more, plus by then I'll be done with my classes from this semester so my overall skills will be a lot better regardless.

And yes, that's one of the reasons why I am getting into ZBrush..to help with my organics. I have mechanical meshes and stuff like that down pretty good. Give me a hard-body object and I can probably model it with some pretty good accuracy. Give me an animal or something, good luck getting anything remotely decent. Hah.

Any suggestions as to where to look for some legit freelance work at? If nothing else I could always sell my stuff on Turbosquid, or even start up my own website, but I know there's freelance websites out there where I could make a lot more money.
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
Last Known Hero

I got lucky with where I found my freelance. I was surfing CGSociety and a guy JUST posted as I read it, and he wanted a freelance artist for a character for animation, then he referred his friend to use me. If you find a decent site let me know :) I have a feeling I won't walways be lucky enough to read a post that quickly..

I recommend NOT selling on turbosquid, It's awesome and all but as far as selling, you get 55% of what you sell (if you agree to only sell on turbosquid). Not to mention the legal documentation you have to go through, you have to sumbit government forms saying if your american and sending all this information. And if you're not american good luck, I've got $30 that they wont send me because I'm Canadian.

And don't worry about the organic, it's a little easier than some people think, once you have base meshs it can be a piece o' pie. But I must say I wish I had your hard surface modelling skills, I have a bitch of a time trying to make hard surface armor.
Power3DArt

Last Known Hero

Dev Diary #1

New game concept, might role with it slowly. Concept is to recreate my town, not fully but mostly, and create a zombie survival. The invention will be based off of items that I have readily available to me and what stores around here carry. When I start on it I will be asking for suggestions on creations. I'll have an example up tomorow of some things to combine and draw a schematic for it. Lemme know what you think. (more tomorow)

**EDIT**

Been doing som research on my city. We have two museums for supplies that are not by chance. We have a Railway Museum, and a Military Museum. Start thinking of supplies that can be salvaged from these pictures:
http://public.fotki.com/predmond/railro ... ty_railwa/

then the Military museum (don't want a overload of weapons)
http://www.elginmilitarymuseum.ca/tour.html The pictures are in the list of events of military activity
Power3DArt

Return to “Off-Topic”