Board Game In Progress

SpiritWebb

Board Game In Progress

Post by SpiritWebb »

So am toying with the idea ( and yes I know this isn't programming ) but creating a board/card space style game. Complete with colonization, research, war, etc. Got the extreme basics of how it will go, waiting to hear back from my 2d concept artist if he wishes to partake in this idea.

Would include:

- Colonizing
- Exploration
- Research
- Ship building / Upgrading
- Planet construction (ie: shipyard, weapons, labs, etc)
- War, treaties, etc
- Tile based board game so each game would be different
- Cards for various things (ie: ship upgrads, planet construction stuff, etc)

What do you guys think?

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Board Game In Progress

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Love these type of games. I am a board game collector so have played and probably own nearly every game out there. Well not really my collection is growing but still got lots of oldies to get. Huge fan of these type games. Hit up Kickstarter when you have something to show as these do well there.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Love these type of games. I am a board game collector so have played and probably own nearly every game out there. Well not really my collection is growing but still got lots of oldies to get. Huge fan of these type games. Hit up Kickstarter when you have something to show as these do well there.

I planned on it. Once we have a basis and some game play. Would need to find a place around me that can make the pieces as well. From the tiles to the ships, mass printing cards, etc. But as long as I can get my concept artist on board, could have a playable game soon. ;)

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Got my concept artist on board! :D 8-)

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Basic game mechanics have been completed. Board setup has been wrote out. How to complete research, colonizing planets and invading them. The different sized planets along with different sized ships. Completed a basic research tree. What each item is used for. How to explore the galaxy, attacking other ships, defending from those battles. How to build ships along with how to repair them and how to build items on your planet. Drew out the tiles, what each one is and card size. Basic idea of the card design and about 90% of the game contents.

Code: Select all

Basic start of the game:

- Each player chooses a race to play and grabs the appropriate box.  
- Grab the 100 blank, black tiles and custom build your galaxy.  The other 100 tiles are for when you are exploring the galaxy.  These tiles will be randomly drawn and placed on the blank tile above it, locking in place so it does not slide.  These tiles could include open space, a new star system, worm hole, etc.
- Open the player box and grab your Homeworld tile and connect it to the game map.
- Lay out your 3 research card piles on your right side, face down.
- Pull out your homeworld card and place the factory card on it with the appropriate build counters.  (Factory is needed to build other items on planet and in orbit)
- Roll dice to see who goes first.

First turn, remove 1 build counter from your factory and continue this process until your factory is completed.  Then you can build your research lab located in your player box.  Once research lab is built you can begin researching.
Whole lot more wrote down on how it is played, just wanted to share the basic start of it!

Sim

Post by Sim »

Sound's awesome, I love board games. Can't wait to see a prototype.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Sim wrote:Sound's awesome, I love board games. Can't wait to see a prototype.
We are planning that part now. Will use cardboard to create the temp board pieces and working out the temp pieces and I'm working on a very basic card design for our artist. Want to get all in order there, then find places that will create the real pieces. And prepare for KiKickStarter.

Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Hey Spiritwebb, I _LOVE_ the idea. In fact, i`ve been pondering on creating something quite similar, however instead of a tabletop boardgame I was thinking to create something digitally. I didn`t plan on the concept of "war" because end-game to me would be getting to be the first to get a prestige item like a space port which would takes away the need to produce your own resources since you can start trading with other colonies.

And yeah, I have resource collection in my concept as well. However, I love your idea as well :) The galaxy exploration part sounds quiteee interesting, love to see how you`re working this out!
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Xaleph wrote:Hey Spiritwebb, I _LOVE_ the idea. In fact, i`ve been pondering on creating something quite similar, however instead of a tabletop boardgame I was thinking to create something digitally. I didn`t plan on the concept of "war" because end-game to me would be getting to be the first to get a prestige item like a space port which would takes away the need to produce your own resources since you can start trading with other colonies.

And yeah, I have resource collection in my concept as well. However, I love your idea as well :) The galaxy exploration part sounds quiteee interesting, love to see how you`re working this out!
Thanks...andy your idea sounds interesting as well. Something I been pondering a while, but never wrote it out, just thinking how it would work, and within about 5 hours I had the whole game mechanics worked out. I am in the process of writing out the technology tree for it as well.

Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Haha yeah, I have written the core concept but I haven`t come around to "polish/finetune" the mechanics per se. I know I like tech trees as well, but since i`m not in to the whole finetuning the specifcs like the tech/skill trees and/or upgrades for buildings etc. In fact, i`m still thinking of adding a meta character as well, like the old C&C Generals, where you choose your starting general where each class has specific features which change your gameplay.

I don`t know if you know the game Sins of a Solar Empire? It has several races and each race has a couple of classes you can play. Where each race prefers one planet type over any other and each class inside that race has a preference over game style, like offensive or defensive or brute or stealth etc.

I really like this concept as well, because in that game, it actually matters. Whereas in other games you could still steamroll the enemy, in this game ( it`s quite slow paced ) it actually matters to make the right choices.

In any case, I`ve been thinking about implementing something like this as well, it adds a new depth to the concept and it requires a lot more thinking / testing but yeah, that`s what i`m aiming for in the future.

Any way, i`m rattling on, I`m reallllly looking forward to your game, if you`re starting a kickstarter campaign, consider me your first buyer :D

Return to “Bad Touch Studios”