Lets see some Inspiration!

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Lets see some Inspiration!

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Things have quieted down around here. I know for me I just have been too busy. Work has been keeping me super busy. Thought we could all use some good inspiration on some game development.

Lets share anything that is inspiring. Whether it is your project, someone else's, a good article, video, ect... Let's just get some people motivated!

I will start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xs9_emG2yM
a_bertrand

Re: Lets see some Inspiration!

Post by a_bertrand »

Well I'm still working on my game maker. Currently working on the "social" part of it which consists of an arcade listing (where people will be able to publish the games made with the maker), a live chat (websocket), news, forum and messaging system.

Not all is there (by far).
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Im working an economic model that looks at revenue generated of income tax vs national sales tax, and i may create a business or country simulator game that uses this model. So not totally game dev but may be eventually ;)
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

It's very hard to work on a project with lots of work from college especially when the motivation is so low...

Although halls I don't know how watching that video affects my morals, in a way I can see that indies are gaining a fair share on the web, but then I wake up to the reality that between the point where I stand and those 10 games, it's an entire solar system :D

Alain, when that time of "DAMN IT NOTHING IS WORKING!!!", what do you do to relax and regain motivation? Please don't tell me you can do a project like NWE and don't get stuck at least once :) (That would be great!)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well... I can't say I never get blocked. For example, I stopped working on NWE as there wasn't much interested players. That's why I switched to a new project. For the game maker, I got blocked a bit by the google login (took me a day). I don't generally get blocked by the technology, more by the amount of work it require to reach some point ;)

What keeps me motivated is the fact that I try something new, and that I have a vision of what I want to deliver. If I reach that point (could be a simple prototype) and there is a huge number of people behind which beg for more then it gives me the energy to continue. If not then... usually I stop and jump on the next pet project.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Sim

Post by Sim »

Inspiration for all: Clicky Meh
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well I don't see NWE as an interest to players but to developers. As far as I know lots of modules were made and stuff, and you created a good thing :)

But I get your point, when things don't reach a certain goal, it's better to move on.

I did my google login very quickly there's a video from phpacademy teaching login with Google, Facebook and Twitter in case you or anyone needs:
Google Login
Facebook Login
Twitter Login
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

One of the most inspiring things I ever saw was "Indie Game: The Movie", which followed the post-release of Braid, the release of Super Meat Boy and the on-going development of Fez. I have watched it several times, and it always fires me up for game development. It is just amazing to see what devoted game developers can do with tiny teams (both of the teams in active development during the movie were just duos), next-to-no-budget, etc.

If you have Netflix and want to check it out, it is still up on Netflix Instant for the moment, but it has been on there for a while. While it isn't on the list of movies getting removed January 1st that has been circulating in the media, I wouldn't be surprised if it was to go. So check it out while you can if you haven't seen it!
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Development”