Taking another crack at PhaserJS

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

Taking another crack at PhaserJS

Post by Jackolantern »

Having had a recent attack of wanting to make traditional 2D animated games, I think I am going to give Phaser another go. I never messed with it much before, however. I looked and looked over many different engines for a game I want to make (a tile-based Rogue-like), and I just can't find a good reason to go with anything else. Phaser has a slew of features over ImpactJS now. One of the things that turned me off from Phaser before was the structuring, since it wasn't really designed with OOP in mind. However, the design philosophy is really to leave structure up to the developer (the opposite of the very structure-opinionated ImpactJS). It is compatible with TypeScript, CommonJS, RequireJS, and just about anything else you can throw at it for structuring. While the pack-in documentation isn't the best for Phaser, I do have a small but decent book on it and it has a massive number of examples covering all kinds of topics.

I had also considered GameMaker Studio, but decided against it merely due to the learning curve and the fact that I don't know if I could learn enough about it in the time I have available. It is an amazing engine, but Studio's newer levels of power have come with a much deeper learning curve. Also, even though GMS supports HTML5, no one seems to use that export module which makes me wonder if it is several leagues less capable than the native binary export options. HTML5 is still very important to me.

Is anyone else using an HTML5 or other cross-platform engine that I should check out?
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Development”