Ironbane open-source MMO server

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

Ironbane open-source MMO server

Post by Jackolantern »

I thought this was interesting enough to share. It is the open-source server and client for the upcoming 3D browser-based MMO Ironbane. It is made with Node.js, Socket.io, Three.js and several other technologies. I haven't been able to go through it much so I can't verify its quality, but it should be useful regardless. Here is the Ironbane GitHub account that includes the server and several other Ironbane-related applications. Interesting stuff!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Sharlenwar

Re: Ironbane open-source MMO server

Post by Sharlenwar »

Holy crap! This is amazing. I'm going to have to hop into this one. Maybe this is something that I want to use? Might be perfect for what I want to do.

Jack, you planning on updating your engine list with this one?
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very cool. I have some code lying around using threejs and nodejs as well. Will dig it back up. It is actually very easy to get a 3d multiplayer scene with boxes running around. Easier than one might expect. Looks like these guys took it further which is very cool. Maybe this will inspire me to work on my again.
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Very cool. I have some code lying around using threejs and nodejs as well. Will dig it back up. It is actually very easy to get a 3d multiplayer scene with boxes running around. Easier than one might expect. Looks like these guys took it further which is very cool. Maybe this will inspire me to work on my again.
I know right? This is giving me inspiration already!Man!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I take that back, I was using Babylonjs not threejs.

http://www.babylonjs.com/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sharlenwar wrote:Holy crap! This is amazing. I'm going to have to hop into this one. Maybe this is something that I want to use? Might be perfect for what I want to do.

Jack, you planning on updating your engine list with this one?
I have been thinking about it. It is definitely a bit bigger and crazier than most of the other entries, but Pomello seems to be in that same vein (a fully-animated, real-time MMO client/server) and it is on the list, this should be a good addition as well.

------

For what it is worth, after looking around on Ironbane's forum, it appears that this was a version they were working on but had problems with (they said they had memory leaks), and they are starting over with what they have learned. That would explain why this is the "Legacy" release. They have projects in place for the new server and client. But it seems quite a bit of work was done with this version, and since it is open source, it could be a great starting place for someone to pick up work with it and keep it developing. I mean, it is Node.js! How hard can it be to eliminate memory leaks from a garbage collected platform? I have a feeling that they reached this point with the project and perhaps decided to aim higher and realized they would have to scrap this version to do so.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I take that back, I was using Babylonjs not threejs.

http://www.babylonjs.com/
Is Babylon derived from Three.JS? Or would they be considered direct competition? A lot of their basic commands look fairly similar.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Not a 100% for sue but Babylon is Microsoft's answer to WebGL engine so thinking it is from scratch.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Babylon is backed by Microsoft? There are only hints to that fact on their website, and I easily could have missed it. Interesting!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yep pretty crazy. Has Xbox controller integration built in along with Oculus Rift

Return to “General Development”