The fun stuff!

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
OldRod

The fun stuff!

Post by OldRod »

A couple weeks ago, after reading a blog about making a game in a month (posted in another thread here), I challenged myself to *finally*... FINALLY! create a game from start to finish. After more years than I can count, and more false starts than I want to admit, I challenged myself to finally do it.

I chose to make a simple space game in Unity, planned it all out and have been working on it since then. All from scratch (except for the sounds/music), including my own artwork, no copied code, no starter packs. Just me and a blank Unity project. Last night I made it over the hump and got the hard parts done (player collision, projectile firing, etc.) and today started adding music and sound effects. What a difference that makes! My simple little game suddenly sounds alive. It's reached the point where I want to play it rather than work on it (and that's never happened to me before :))!

I need to tweak a few things, make some final sprites, and make title/end screens, and I think I will actually complete my first game ever! :)

I will post here when I am done, but be prepared... once I do that, Armageddon is surely just around the corner :shock:
Jackolantern

Re: The fun stuff!

Post by Jackolantern »

Nice! Shooters are very good, completeable games to work on (one of the reasons there was such a flood of them in the golden era).
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Re: The fun stuff!

Post by Callan S. »

Congrats, Rod! Well done...so far! Remember it's not done yet! So the end congratulations are yet to come! Make a plan of how to wrap up and try to avoid feature creep (ie, adding more to the end plan). And figure some end prize, like a case of beer or bottle of spirits or some DVD you always wanted, as your prize for finishing!

Return to “General Development”