Lets talk Party Systems?

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Sim

Lets talk Party Systems?

Post by Sim »

So I want to start planning as many features and options for how a party system may and can work.

My system as of now is set up where you can create unlimited locations (zones) which displays a image then a list of links where you click to travel to another place which changes the shop's, NPC's.

The system is also set up to have unlimited or a set amount of characters.

So how would you like to have a party system work for yourself and with other players? What options would you like to see in a text/graphical based rpg browser game for this type of feature.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Jackolantern

Re: Lets talk Party Systems?

Post by Jackolantern »

A good party system is difficult to do without real-time mechanics. With a non-real-time system, it would be very error-prone to let each player know what the other players are doing since each webpage is fired off by the server and then each player won't get an update until they do something else.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

EDIT: was talking about Guilds moreso than Parties.

I agree parties are hard to do without Real-Time, I think it'd be better to have things like Guild Quests because the people will have to be very organized and closely-knit.
Sim

Post by Sim »

Xaos wrote:EDIT: was talking about Guilds moreso than Parties.

I agree parties are hard to do without Real-Time, I think it'd be better to have things like Guild Quests because the people will have to be very organized and closely-knit.

For "Guild Quest", my first thought was something like this "a NPC assigns x members different quests to the x members to complete which will consist of multiple steps and must be completed within a time limit and the reward will be much higher then a regular quest.

For example:
NPC assigns two members "Guild quest 1"
-member 1: go fetch item 1 from NPC x and meet me back here within x amount of time
-member 2: go fetch item 2 from NPC y and meet me back here within x amount of time

once a member returns:
Some action will happen for returning the item.
Then
-go battle oppoment(s) z at Location p
This will happen for both Guild members (the later joining member joins the battle at a later time) so if the first member gets the battle first dies, the quest fails so they should work together threw PM's or outside messengering to try to get to battle together at same time or maybe receive some sort of notifications about how there side of quest is doing.

what was your idea on "Guild Quest?"
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Yup, that's generally what I was thinking, I can't think of another way to do that in a non-real time environment

Return to “Game Design”