Valuable Info Gone

General Chat, Comments
GameMaster

Valuable Info Gone

Post by GameMaster »

Greetings. What about all the valuable info that was placed on the last forum, none of it got saved?

I was looking for the recommended procedure to manually up date the engine but could not find it.
GameMaster

Re: Valuable Info Gone

Post by GameMaster »

Has this project been shelved? There are no updates sine Feb 2014 and not even my post above was acknowledged.

Its a shame really. I made an investment in time and money in this and hope it would continue.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

The engine is still there, and you can still update manually, download the latest "patch" upload it to your server and then open your site. The installer should update the installation.

http://www.nw-engine.com/wiki/index.php/Install

Personally I stopped developing it as the interest on the engine went down as well as my own interest to develop on PHP.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

What about possible security holes found, and future versions of PHP - it will not be updated for it?
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Security holes I will quite certainly fix them. If future versions of PHP breaks the compatibility I will quite likely not fix it. However I'm in discussion with somebody which may buy back the whole project.
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

"Buy back?" Someone use to own it before? What about current and extended licenses should that happen?
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Buy it then if you want and I don't know about what the possible new owner want to do with the licenses as it's not clear yet who will buy it ;)
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

I think this has been my biggest thing on my mind too. I've been updating all the game engines I've used to mysqli because old mysql commands will be depreciated in future updates of php. It will do no one any good if they can't use the engine due to depreciated db codes. While there is still time before that happens, hopefully the new owner will take this into account. Also those of us who own licenses should be grandfathered in and not be required to buy the license all over again, that would be really bad. If the new owner does not honor the current licenses, I will no longer use the product
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

I do not see why we should have to buy new licenses. I bought mine with the understanding that future upgrades would be free but I did not expect the project to flop so soon after or maybe I did, I did see the signs.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

First of all... I hardly see the project flop.

You got a fully working engine for a relatively cheep price. Second I never said you must purchase a full license again I simply said I have no clues what a possible next owner would do with the engine. Normally with any product you would be forced to pay a renew of the license every year if you want to keep your software up to date (so get new features and so). A renew could cost between 10% up to 50% of the price of the full license (yes I saw products which ask so much).

The project is there since 2012, and you got updates multiple years without ever being asked to pay a dim more. Does that mean you will never need to pay more to get new features? No. It means simply that I personally didn't asked for it.

Return to “General”