Longshot, but has some potential.

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
njfrlng

Longshot, but has some potential.

Post by njfrlng »

Hey All,

I'm currently looking for someone well versed in php to help make some new modules (and modifications) for the NW-Engine.

Here's my situation:

I own Forcesofwar.com, this was an online PC gaming community/clan that played the Call of Duty series. At our peak we had 10,000+ registered members and were receiving +10,000,000 hits a month. I ran that place for 5 years and had a hell of a time doing it. However, dedicated servers started to die off and it started getting harder and harder to attract/maintain players. So with a heavy heart I shut the place down a few weeks ago.

That being said, the website was still getting a lot of web traffic and 3-4 new people were registering daily.

For this reason I think I could really capitalize on this traffic and put up a text based MMO that could turn into a great success.

I've already gone out and bought/installed the NW-Engine and have had great success at setting it up and making some customization/modifications on my own (with the help of alan and others here) but I am not a coder. To actually develop what is needed to attract and keep people interested is beyond my capabilities.

That is why I am here. I am wondering if anyone is crazy enough to jump on board and help me out.

I am very open to discussion and more then willing to offer a stake in any profits.

I'll be upfront, I bring no coding experience to the table. (My abilities are limited to setting up databases, some HTML/CSS, and maybe a TINY bit of PHP) But one thing I am is a quick learner. I have no problem helping out where I can. If you need someone to do a bunch of data input or tedious work, then I'm your man!!

What I do bring is an active web traffic source, experience managing a large online community (and in real life, my full time job is a mgt position), and creative input. (I've been playing games my whole life and have lots of what I believe to be great ideas!)

Although I may not be much of a coder, I do understand the concepts, so when I think of ideas or modifications they are realistic and attainable.

If this sounds of any interest to you please hit me up!!

If you want to know more about the current storyline I've got going, let me know as well. Ive already taken up enough of your time here!

Thanks!

Nic
Xaos

Re: Longshot, but has some potential.

Post by Xaos »

So do you have a game idea and whatnot that you want to turn into a fame and host it on this site with a bunch of traffic, or you have a site with a bunch of traffic and want to put a game on it? Also, will you buy the NWE for whoever is your programmer if they do not have it? And is the only pay going to be equity after completion? Just trying to help you help us :D
njfrlng

Post by njfrlng »

Xaos wrote:So do you have a game idea and whatnot that you want to turn into a fame and host it on this site with a bunch of traffic, or you have a site with a bunch of traffic and want to put a game on it? Also, will you buy the NWE for whoever is your programmer if they do not have it? And is the only pay going to be equity after completion? Just trying to help you help us :D
Appreciate the feedback Xaos!

-I already have a site with a bunch of traffic that I want to put a game on. (http://www.forcesofwar.com)
-I already own a NWE license and have a test site setup while I attempt to learn more coding on my own
-Pay is negotiable. Ideally I'd rather give the programmer a cut of the profits once the place generates income (I understand thats a huge risk for the programmer), but if they want to work on a piece by piece basis I'd be open to paying them upfront if their rates are reasonable (But they would not receive any ownership).

Snapshot of traffic this year (The since shutdown basically)

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You may want to change that site if you are hoping to capitalize on the site's traffic. With nothing but a "site closed" graphic on the page, you will be starting at square one within just a couple of weeks. Search engines are also going to pull your site once the spiders crawl it again, and see there are no links, AKA, it is a dead end.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:You may want to change that site if you are hoping to capitalize on the site's traffic. With nothing but a "site closed" graphic on the page, you will be starting at square one within just a couple of weeks. Search engines are also going to pull your site once the spiders crawl it again, and see there are no links, AKA, it is a dead end.

This. Also, not sure about AB's rules on the NWE, or engines in general, but just because you own the engine does that give me, for example, right to use it? And so does this mean you need everything for the game? For me, it sounds like you're presenting an opportunity for a Game developer for their game, and you'd be a part of it, rather than the other way around, if that makes sense. HOWEVER, I may be interested -- I haven't worked with NWE but I've seen its amazing and I wanted to get my hands on it. Shoot me a PM and we can talk about timeframe and any ideas you have for the game.
njfrlng

Post by njfrlng »

Xaos wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:You may want to change that site if you are hoping to capitalize on the site's traffic. With nothing but a "site closed" graphic on the page, you will be starting at square one within just a couple of weeks. Search engines are also going to pull your site once the spiders crawl it again, and see there are no links, AKA, it is a dead end.

This. Also, not sure about AB's rules on the NWE, or engines in general, but just because you own the engine does that give me, for example, right to use it? And so does this mean you need everything for the game? For me, it sounds like you're presenting an opportunity for a Game developer for their game, and you'd be a part of it, rather than the other way around, if that makes sense. HOWEVER, I may be interested -- I haven't worked with NWE but I've seen its amazing and I wanted to get my hands on it. Shoot me a PM and we can talk about timeframe and any ideas you have for the game.
I've relaunched my old site to maintain traffic flow as mentioned.

Plus i still have the ability to mass email all my old contacts (Many of these being former clan members which would definitely be interested in participating in the game and help establish a core group of players to keep the game active.)

As for licensing, as far as I'm concerned I own the domain and the NWE license and am free to do as I please. (Unless alain says otherwise....) I bought the license for my use, and having others work on the project should be of no concern.

Im not looking for someone to implement their game under my website.

I truly have a desire to establish a successful text based mmo, which I believe can be done with my web traffic advantage, experience, and creativeness.

But not without some help!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

njfrlng wrote:As for licensing, as far as I'm concerned I own the domain and the NWE license and am free to do as I please. (Unless alain says otherwise....) I bought the license for my use, and having others work on the project should be of no concern.
That is up to Alain's license. You can't sublet licensed software to others without some kind of a team license clause. I can't buy Microsoft Office, and say because it is mine I am going to let everyone in my family install it.

Maybe NWE has a team license clause. I am not sure. But whatever the license is, you have a legal obligation to follow it to protect Alain's work and his investment.
njfrlng wrote:I truly have a desire to establish a successful text based mmo, which I believe can be done with my web traffic advantage, experience, and creativeness.
Do you have an idea for a game? Any design document? Even if you don't want to publicly share it, which I can understand (although in reality, it is quite safe to do), knowing that you have done some design work and have something ready to make would reinforce your role in a creative position on the team.

Otherwise, it basically is a developer coming on board to implement their game, since it would be their idea, their design, and their coding.

Not that there is any problem with that. At best, equity would be 50%/50% on a project like this, so what does it matter "who's game it is"?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
njfrlng

Post by njfrlng »

I definitely plan to respect any licensing restrictions imposed by Alain.

As for a plan, I definitely have something in the works for a story line/concept. I've even gone as far as starting a spreadsheet for all the various items/weapons/food/armour/quests/locations etc...

I intend to be the driving force behind the storyline/concepts/etc...
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
njfrlng

Post by njfrlng »

here is a link to a document I have regarding my game concept/ideas.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zWE ... sp=sharing

Return to “Recruitment”