Friendly Urls

General Chat, Comments
Daronna

Friendly Urls

Post by Daronna »

Hi

With having Chat enabled, all of my addresses look like this
modules/chat_bar/chat_bar.php

It doesn't matter what link I click on this left side, this is the address that shows in the address bar and I really don't want to disable the Chat function

My server is .htaccess friendly, as I run other programs without issue

Can someone help me to fix this.

Thanking you in advance
Daronna
KyleMassacre

Re: Friendly Urls

Post by KyleMassacre »

does this pose some sort of issue having the url as that? And i know a while ago this was brought up else where about "friendly urls" and Alain stated that he didnt really see a point to having them.
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

try this here... http://corz.org/server/tricks/htaccess.php, probably the most helpful tiny little place for all your problems with .htaccess :)

Code: Select all

You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you are all the same!
[/size]
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

A couple of things:
- "Friendly url" are totally useless. Why? Because players don't really care about them. You would care if you would need to remember, but here nobody cares, those are actions not document to remember.
- NWE adds normally a CRC at the end of the URL to avoid URL forgery... that will somehow blocks any URL in a friendly form.

For the chat, the issue is a bit different, this URL is due to the fact the chat loads a single page, which contains an iframe and then the game runs inside the iframe. In this way the chat is always open and doesn't lose the content while you navigate. Of course you could have a nice URL rewrite to hide that, but does it matter? Honestly I doubt it.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Daronna

Post by Daronna »

Thank you for your quick responses.

I didn't mean to imply that it was an issue with the program or anything, I just wondered if they was a way to change it to reflect what page you are on i.e. Craft, Explore, Crimes, etc.

Just my opinion, index.php?p=50_50&token=thisismytoken seems more pleasing than modules/chat_bar/chat_bar.php,
although I really do appreciate the time and effort that has gone in to making the mods.

The visitor may be so engrossed in your game and to refresh their memory where they are, they just have to glance at the address bar to know they are playing 50/50.

Thank you
Daronna
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well, then, if you would like to know exactly what's going on on the url, sadly the module do hide it, and unless you rewrite it to make it work differently there isn't anything you can do. As said, the chat bar works as it generate an iframe for the game content, while the chat remains on that page. If you leave that page you lose the chat history.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer

Return to “General”