Forsaken Sanctum

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Forsaken Sanctum

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

After much internal debate I have decided to reopen FS. I have let work and other things take me away from any kind of development so I need a project I am passionate about and Forsaken Sanctum has been calling to me for some time. This version of FS is a semi-graphical Mud. I am taking the best things about Muds giving them an update along with some new features. The game will take parts from every past version. I am not setting any expectations on this but setting many goals.

You can find the story, game design doc, and more info at
http://forsakensanctum.com/

the website is a major WIP and has some place holders on it. The GDD is also a WIP.

Will have more info soon.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Forsaken Sanctum

Now that i am using MongoDb I am increasing the world size to 4,000,000 locations per zone with 3 zones at start and 10 by the end. Now that does not mean you have to walk all that or you will be searching all day for something. I am building a good travel system and map system. This just allows for people to explore for days on end.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Wow... looks awesome.
You're the man halls.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Sounds great. Good luck with the project.

I keep meaning to look at MongoDB, but just never seem to find the time.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Jack turned me on to it. It is quite nice and easy to learn thus far.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, I love Mongo, and think it is great for games. It gets rid of so many headaches with relational databases. Of course, a good ORM can abstract a lot of that away.

But this sounds very cool! Halls, you should also check out Sails.js for node. It bundles HTTP and Socket.io into one, so you can use the same controllers for Socket.io and HTTP, and the same authentication. That was really a pain, trying to combine the two myself. It has a pile of other features useful for games. You still have to keep an object full of Socket.io user handles server-side for push messages, but it just makes it all so much cleaner.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

sweet thanks!

As an update I have been learning Mongo as I go and working on the best way to set everything up so I am not tearing it out or redoing later.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”