Glitch Art/Code goes Public Domain

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
OldRod

Glitch Art/Code goes Public Domain

Post by OldRod »

http://www.glitchthegame.com/public-domain-game-art/
The collaborative, web-based, massively multiplayer game Glitch began its initial private testing in 2009, opened to the public in 2010, and was shut down in 2012. It was played by more than 150,000 people and was widely hailed for its original and highly creative visual style.

The entire library of art assets from the game, has been made freely available, dedicated to the public domain. Code from the game client is included to help developers work with the assets. All of it can be downloaded and used by anyone, for any purpose. (But: use it for good.)

Tiny Speck, Inc., the game’s developer, has relinquished its ownership of copyright over these 10,000+ assets in the hopes that they help others in their creative endeavours and build on Glitch’s legacy of simple fun, creativity and an appreciation for the preposterous. Go and make beautiful things.
I never played this game, but the shots I've seen of it look good. If you need some art, check it out :)

*edited to add: they are in Adobe Flash CS5 format and are released under the CCO 1.0 license
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Glitch Art/Code goes Public Domain

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

wow very kewl. Never heard of the game but kewl to see some assets out there for use.
Jackolantern

Re: Glitch Art/Code goes Public Domain

Post by Jackolantern »

I had never seen the game before, so anyone else in the same boat here is a nice video that shows off a lot of the art. And if anyone wants to convert Flash content to flat sprite sheets for traditional game engines, Zoe is a good way to do it.

Nice find! I wish more game companies would release their art when the game closes, rather than just let it die and be buried. Technology advances on so fast that I am sure none of the assets in the failed early-2000's MMOs would be worth any money today (I am sure they have been sitting in whoever bought the rights' vault waiting to try to license them), so just make them public domain!
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Resources”