Filing up a Campaign

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
vitinho444

Filing up a Campaign

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey community :D vitor here.

On the creation of my first full-story campaign stealth game I want to focus first on the storyline. I have a pretty decent base, and a nice end already. But i need to fill the middle you know?

I made a diagram with the base and used a method that i've learned on a website that consists in creating a line with ups and downs, and on the X axis it will be the story timeline, and on the Y it will be the.. how can i say it.. the drama. Like the climax is the maximum of that line you know what im saying?

Here's what i have:

I don't (it would be appreciated) want you guys to start completing the story, but i would like some base quests and missions that are present in todays games to "fill" the campaigng.

It is not finished yet but some filling in the middle helps later.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Callan S.

Re: Filing up a Campaign

Post by Callan S. »

Moral distraction: A village falls under attack - does the hero ignore (for the time being) his very important mission and stop the attack?
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

A mission where he has to cross some wide open and large rice paddy fields and even if he makes it across without NK guards or villagers spotting him, he then has to climb up some terraced rice paddies, and if he makes it up the terraces he goes into the mountains/jungle/forest and something happens in there, like he finds a camp or a house or a remote village, something, where you can then put another minor mission.
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think the story needs more human elements. Those can really fill out the game's narrative. For example, during the mission he comes across a forced-labor camp just as a small family is escaping. Obviously being in enemy territory and suddenly having your heart go soft for these people is probably unrealistic for this character, so instead it could start as a logical decision: he realizes the escape will negatively impact the area and bring heat on him, so he decides to help keep them hidden along his route. It could also add more drama as he internally debates whether he is willing to sacrifice these people if he is near being caught, climaxing in a situation where he must decide what to actually do.

That is just an example of course, but I think adding a human element to it will help make the story more relateable, and has the very utilitarian effect of giving the main character more reason to talk to expand his character.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Callan S. wrote:Moral distraction: A village falls under attack - does the hero ignore (for the time being) his very important mission and stop the attack?
Those moral distraction missions can surely help filling the campaign :P
Verahta wrote:A mission where he has to cross some wide open and large rice paddy fields and even if he makes it across without NK guards or villagers spotting him, he then has to climb up some terraced rice paddies, and if he makes it up the terraces he goes into the mountains/jungle/forest and something happens in there, like he finds a camp or a house or a remote village, something, where you can then put another minor mission.
I don't know if i understood your point, but what I did understood was to make a mission purely stealth?
Jackolantern wrote:I think the story needs more human elements. Those can really fill out the game's narrative. For example, during the mission he comes across a forced-labor camp just as a small family is escaping. Obviously being in enemy territory and suddenly having your heart go soft for these people is probably unrealistic for this character, so instead it could start as a logical decision: he realizes the escape will negatively impact the area and bring heat on him, so he decides to help keep them hidden along his route. It could also add more drama as he internally debates whether he is willing to sacrifice these people if he is near being caught, climaxing in a situation where he must decide what to actually do.

That is just an example of course, but I think adding a human element to it will help make the story more relateable, and has the very utilitarian effect of giving the main character more reason to talk to expand his character.
That's a good idea, they're all good ideas, the only problem is how to make those cutscenes or really in-game. My walking animation (keyframe animation) is good to start but it's not perfect, I will have trouble doing that, but I will try my best ofc :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Return to “Game Design”