Tycoon games

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Tycoon games

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sim City, Zoo Tycoon ect.. I have been playing a few. ArcadeCraft is the latest and is a ton of fun. Talk to the developers. I am doing some research/playing of them and was wondering everyone's favorite.
Jackolantern

Re: Tycoon games

Post by Jackolantern »

I've never really been into the Tycoon games, but have only given a few a try. Running an arcade sounds pretty fun, though :D
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I JUST LOVE THOSE
I LOVE THEM

I loved the rollercoaster tycoon so much.. Own a themed park is soooooo cooooool.

Then sim city wow, i just loved it and I'm thinking buying the new one but many people have been complaining about it.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

I must say the Tycoon which strive as much as possible to reality are the best.
Pizza Tycoon is one of my favourites just because you can actually make your own pizzas, put ingredients an such.
I personally didn't like that you could sabotage 'enemy' pizza places, but many people would enjoy to get an advantage over an competitor by causing something 'unexpected' for them :D

At one point I was idealizing a Tycoon game myself, but didn't really had enough motivation at that point to actually put some effort to it and start planning and developing it.
But the idea still exists in the back of my head, would be interesting at some point of life.
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

One benefit for these types of games for the hobbyist developer, is that if you choose your subject well, it can really reduce the amount of art assets you need while opening all kinds of gameplay mechanics. Look at "Game Dev Story" for iOS and Android. The amount of art assets required for it were within the capabilities of a small indie team, a lot of the gameplay feedback was delivered through text boxes, and it was a gigantic hit, becoming one of the biggest hits of the year. :cool:
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

My favorite would have been something like the Railroad Tycoon series, Transport Tycoon, and any of the tycoon games that let you interact with your world environment. Railroad tycoon was fun as you had to establish routes, connect cities, and watch them flourish through your intervention. There was an old PC gamed called A-Train that was quite fun, basically like Transport Tycoon. I also like to take my time, the games that go fast paced I usually stay way from.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I have to admit I haven't played too many tycoon-type sim games :P
Ark

Post by Ark »

Roller Coaster tycoon 2 definitely!
Orgullo Catracho
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Game Dev Story is the only app, game or otherwise, I've ever bought. Worth every penny.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I haven't played it. ArcadeCraft is fun. I will have to try it out.

Return to “Game Design”