Free 3D Models

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
vitinho444

Free 3D Models

Post by vitinho444 »

Hello guys, I'm creating my first 3D STEALTH-FULL CAMPAIGN-FPS, and like any 3D game, i need 3D Models right?
I can model the basic ones in 3ds max, but for those that are very complex i use:
http://tf3dm.com/
or
http://www.turbosquid.com/

The first one is very good, and i think they are all free, i assume.
The second one is very known i guess, and some are free some are payed, when you search for any model go to the filter and put price: low first or something to show the free ones ;)

Good luck with your projects.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: Free 3D Models

Post by Jackolantern »

Nice! Turbosquid actually used to offer all the free stuff in a "Free Models" section, but it appears they came to their senses and realized that everyone was just going into the free section and never checked the paid stuff lol.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:Nice! Turbosquid actually used to offer all the free stuff in a "Free Models" section, but it appears they came to their senses and realized that everyone was just going into the free section and never checked the paid stuff lol.
I think small indie companies don't usual need to buy models. I think it's better to hire a freelancer guy and he can do good models at a lower price that buying every single one separated.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:Nice! Turbosquid actually used to offer all the free stuff in a "Free Models" section, but it appears they came to their senses and realized that everyone was just going into the free section and never checked the paid stuff lol.
I think small indie companies don't usual need to buy models. I think it's better to hire a freelancer guy and he can do good models at a lower price that buying every single one separated.
Actually, buying models will almost always be cheaper than hiring a freelancer who can do equivalent quality work. Those models on Turbosquid will make their money through multiple sales. However, a freelancer is making the models just for you, so all that money must be made just from you. Of course, there are other benefits to having custom models made, particularly by the same artist, since the artistic style will more closely match.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:
vitinho444 wrote:
Actually, buying models will almost always be cheaper than hiring a freelancer who can do equivalent quality work. Those models on Turbosquid will make their money through multiple sales. However, a freelancer is making the models just for you, so all that money must be made just from you. Of course, there are other benefits to having custom models made, particularly by the same artist, since the artistic style will more closely match.
Well I just disagree because imagine a room modelling. You need all sorts of props, and props, at least in turbo squid can be pricey.. So a whole room will be expensive instead of a freelancer artist for a few bucks (i dont know how much it costs actually) or a share in the profits ( like i do in my team for now) might be better.

Lord Rahl

Post by Lord Rahl »

vitinho444 wrote:
Jackolantern wrote: Well I just disagree because imagine a room modelling. You need all sorts of props, and props, at least in turbo squid can be pricey.. So a whole room will be expensive instead of a freelancer artist for a few bucks (i dont know how much it costs actually) or a share in the profits ( like i do in my team for now) might be better.
Generally speaking custom work is always more expensive.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:
vitinho444 wrote: I think small indie companies don't usual need to buy models. I think it's better to hire a freelancer guy and he can do good models at a lower price that buying every single one separated.
Well I just disagree because imagine a room modelling. You need all sorts of props, and props, at least in turbo squid can be pricey.. So a whole room will be expensive instead of a freelancer artist for a few bucks (i dont know how much it costs actually) or a share in the profits ( like i do in my team for now) might be better.
Professional freelance modelers cost about $25 - $50 an hour. One complex model can take over 40 hours to model, texture, rig and animate. If anyone models anything for you for "a few bucks", they are doing you a huge favor if the quality is good, because that is miles under the open market price. And no freelancers work for a share of the profit, since they have learned that most projects never make it to profit.

I am not saying there are no modelers who work for nothing for a team, but at that point they are a member of your team, not a freelancer. At that point they are obviously not modeling to feed their family, and probably just do it as a hobby, or even model professionally but moonlight for low or no pay to indulge their interests. Like many programmers on here do programming professionally for business, but code games in their spare time. However, if they did freelance programming, that would mean they are working professionally on their own with clients, and would have to charge enough money to live on.

Return to “Resources”