3D in PHP

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Luke111

3D in PHP

Post by Luke111 »

Hello everyone! I have successfully ported the NeHe OpenGL tutorial, "Your First Polygon" to PHP using php-opengl. It wasn't very hard, but I personally hate coding everything from scratch in OpenGL. I am probably going to start work on a PHP 3D library.

Oh, and for those of you who say PHP is too slow, maybe you could do some research for me to figure out if HHVM (HipHop PHP VM made by Facebook) would work with this. I have yet to have a need to try myself, as PHP is still fast enough for what I am doing (so far, I am sure that will change).
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.
Jackolantern

Re: 3D in PHP

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow...client-side PHP 3D? Interesting lol. Honestly, I have no idea if it is fast enough to use for a serious game. I would definitely have my doubts, but then I don't know a ton about the PHP engine running command-line PHP. Neat that someone is doing it, though! :cool:

Also, I wasn't even familiar with HipHop PHP VM, but it sounds interesting. :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Re: 3D in PHP

Post by a_bertrand »

I'm honestly not sure I would pick PHP. Not only for the lack of speed which may still be ok for what you need, but for many other reasons. Scripting languages are not very good for such tasks specially PHP because you will not check the syntax or many other issues till you reach that part of the code. Also OO support in PHP is let's say clumsy, and for me such kind of game would greatly benefit from a true OO.

Finally, many other languages would offer some true 3D lib, with even gaming features.

If you start from scratch, I would personally look into unity 3D. If you really want to do all by yourself, then go for Java or C# or C++
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer

Return to “Game Design”