Looking for a serious team to help build my project.

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
weezme

Looking for a serious team to help build my project.

Post by weezme »

Hi, I am looking for a team of people who are serious about making a great project that could be a very fun time.

My project is a MMO RTS post apocalyptic game and I have all of the ideas thought out of and I have started on working on the deign layout and 3d modeling. Mostly what I'm looking for is a few people who have a little bit of free time to do some coding and possibly help me create the game maps. I myself work a full-time job and a part time job but I manage to put about 20 a week into this project. I had someone who was going to help code but I'm not sure how it's gonna work out with very poor communication. If anyone is interested please send me a message and I will explain in much detail what this project will be all about. I have the host all ready set up and am ready to give out FTP accounts and get started. I simply just want to start on one game aspect at a time and I'm very aware it is a lot of work to be done. Just so you know this is not going to be a Facebook or Google play game, this will be a stand alone site game based on java script,php, and any other coding that could become useful. Also I would like to have it a free to play game that does not consist of an option for pay to win.
weezme

Re: Looking for a serious team to help build my project.

Post by weezme »

If found one person, and we are looking into using a game engine called. http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d If anyone has used this before and could give me some helpful info that would be fantastic :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I have not used it, but am decently familiar with it since it is a pretty common game engine in indie development. If you went that route, the game would no be browser-based (at least not really, as I think there is some basic browser embedding ability with Torque) and would be a downloadable game. It would also not use Javascript or PHP.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
weezme

Post by weezme »

Jackolantern wrote:I have not used it, but am decently familiar with it since it is a pretty common game engine in indie development. If you went that route, the game would no be browser-based (at least not really, as I think there is some basic browser embedding ability with Torque) and would be a downloadable game. It would also not use Javascript or PHP.
Hmmm, well i'm having a huge problem finding a game engine that is use for a browser based, ony other one I found is unity, and that'd 75 a month which I can not afford as of right now. Will figure out how to get this project rolling eventually I guess. I really want it to be just browser based where all people need is updated java to be able to play the java script based part of the game.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Unity is free.

I do not recommend Torque 2d for any web development type work. I have used all of torques products, I own a studio license and it is way over complicated for what it is worth and has little to no ability to deploy to web. You can product the same results with HTML5 and there are tons of free engines for that. Take a look at Melonjs. http://melonjs.org/
weezme

Post by weezme »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Unity is free.

I do not recommend Torque 2d for any web development type work. I have used all of torques products, I own a studio license and it is way over complicated for what it is worth and has little to no ability to deploy to web. You can product the same results with HTML5 and there are tons of free engines for that. Take a look at Melonjs. http://melonjs.org/
Thank you very much :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Also check out CraftyJS. That and Melon are probably the best free HTML5 engines out there now.

If you want something that isn't code-oriented, you could check out Game Maker Studio. I have been quite impressed with how GM has advanced in the last few years. Their product allows you to use "events" instead of direct coding to make the functionality of the game, and then you can publish to Apple App Store, Google Play, Windows 8, Windows 32/64, Mac OSX, to the web with HTML5 and more. You have to buy each export module outside of Windows 32/64 and Mac, so you buy the base of $99 and then the HTML5 export module of $99, so it is definitely a bit pricey compared to the programming engines, but you may not even need the help of a programmer if you went that route.
weezme

Post by weezme »

Jackolantern wrote:Also check out CraftyJS. That and Melon are probably the best free HTML5 engines out there now.

If you want something that isn't code-oriented, you could check out Game Maker Studio. I have been quite impressed with how GM has advanced in the last few years. Their product allows you to use "events" instead of direct coding to make the functionality of the game, and then you can publish to Apple App Store, Google Play, Windows 8, Windows 32/64, Mac OSX, to the web with HTML5 and more. You have to buy each export module outside of Windows 32/64 and Mac, so you buy the base of $99 and then the HTML5 export module of $99, so it is definitely a bit pricey compared to the programming engines, but you may not even need the help of a programmer if you went that route.
Well once I get this map done, I think my project team can get going with the game. I tried making a city map in photoshop and doesn't allow me to make a big enough map there. So i'm trying some other software in hopes that I can create a large map.
Luke111

Post by Luke111 »

So what is your plan? Text-Based/2D/3D? Did you say that it was going to be a MMO-RTS? These things are all very important to have planned out before choosing an engine.

If you are looking for a 3D RTS engine, I recommend looking at Spring (http://springrts.com/). I tried using it before, but my programmers art was quite a fail (I don't have the patience for artwork). Programming it isn't that hard IIRC.

If you are looking for a 2D RTS engine, I recommend looking at Monkey (http://monkeycoder.co.nz/). I use it every once in a while, and I think it has great potential out of the box for 2D RTS development. Note that it has to be coded from scratch with Monkey, there isn't any tools out there that I know of.

If you are looking for a Text-Based RTS engine, I recommend using my MountainFramework: http://indie-resource.com/forums/viewto ... =18&t=6789. It has some cool stuff built in to make PHP development a breeze. It is a non-biased framework, meaning that you would basically be starting off from scratch (no login or anything), but it does make code maintenance easy.
If you are interested in going this route, PM me and I can help you get it set up and possibly help code some stuff too (if you want).
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

weezme wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:Also check out CraftyJS. That and Melon are probably the best free HTML5 engines out there now.

Well once I get this map done, I think my project team can get going with the game. I tried making a city map in photoshop and doesn't allow me to make a big enough map there. So i'm trying some other software in hopes that I can create a large map.
You can make pretty much anything in Photoshop. It may be that you were working too large for how big your image was without realizing it (it can be hard to get a sense of scale in PS sometimes since you can zoom in and out of the image). Photoshop can make huge images, and if that isn't enough you can stitch them together in whatever engine you use.

Return to “Recruitment”