Looking for a library of useable game graphics or a program

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
weezme

Looking for a library of useable game graphics or a program

Post by weezme »

I recently start a project that is a RTS/RPG and I need to find or create the graphics for it such as buildings, roads, and terrain for a 2-d map for my game. I am fairly new when it comes to doing graphics from scratch but I believe if there isn't a library that I could use objects from I would be able to create the objects myself by basing it off pictures that I find. I'm not looking to do any animation for the buildings just yet, just a buildings at a stand still for now would be perfect. So I'm hoping someone could help me out with this and it would be much appreciated.
Jackolantern

Re: Looking for a library of useable game graphics or a prog

Post by Jackolantern »

Judging by your project thread I am assuming you are looking for modern (or at least semi-modern) building graphics. If you want to make your own, and are shooting for an isometric look, there is a pretty neat program called World Creator 2. There is an older version that is free, but I have heard from many it isn't even worth the download and doesn't hold a candle to the commercial WC2.

You can take pictures of buildings and then use WC2 to wrap them onto little models you build in WC2, and then convert that to images usable in the game. I have not used it, but it seems to me to be a pretty non-artist-friendly way to create modern city graphics :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
weezme

Post by weezme »

Jackolantern wrote:Judging by your project thread I am assuming you are looking for modern (or at least semi-modern) building graphics. If you want to make your own, and are shooting for an isometric look, there is a pretty neat program called World Creator 2. There is an older version that is free, but I have heard from many it isn't even worth the download and doesn't hold a candle to the commercial WC2.

You can take pictures of buildings and then use WC2 to wrap them onto little models you build in WC2, and then convert that to images usable in the game. I have not used it, but it seems to me to be a pretty non-artist-friendly way to create modern city graphics :)
Sweet thank you very much :) I may go futuristic buildings eventually but that will do just fine till then.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You will have a much easier time with the buildings if you go modern, since you can get royalty-free images of buildings and use them as textures in WC2. If you went futuristic, all the textures would have to be hand-drawn, or at least highly Photoshopped.

But I hear you it could be a plan for the future :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh, you could also scour the Architecture section of Turbosquid for low-cost buildings, open them in a modeling program, move the camera to the appropriate distance and angle and create images of them to use in the game. These are called "prerendered graphics", since the rendering (the computer drawing of the graphics) are done during development in the modeling program instead of during play (in which case it would be a 3D game). Since they are prerendered, you can get models of any poly count. The higher the better. :cool:
weezme

Post by weezme »

I have tried these suggested sites for building graphics and it isn't quite what I'm looking for. What I am looking for is either a library of free 2-d building I can use for the time being or an simple program that I can use to create 2-d buildings for a game city, such as a warehouse, sky scrappers, simple houses, banks, and little business buildings. I will keep searching but everything I keep running into is to make an actual physical city model, but I need these models for an in game map.
weezme

Post by weezme »

Ok well I found a program and a lot of searching and research and what I found was Blender at Blender.org so just in case anyone else is looking for a graphics builder that is that is free and pretty legit, and also found some tutorial videos on YouTube to follow along with :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh, I didn't realize you were looking for a 3D modeling program, or we could have suggested Blender a while back and saved you the time. However, if you are wanting to model buildings and then create images of them for the game, you may want to just look for free building models to work with. Modeling is a whole journey on its own, and some believe it is much harder to master than programming.
weezme

Post by weezme »

Jackolantern wrote:Oh, I didn't realize you were looking for a 3D modeling program, or we could have suggested Blender a while back and saved you the time. However, if you are wanting to model buildings and then create images of them for the game, you may want to just look for free building models to work with. Modeling is a whole journey on its own, and some believe it is much harder to master than programming.
Well orginally I wasn't looking for 3D modeling program, but with this tutorial video of how to make buildings with Blender seems like it will do the trick. I did a lot of digging and searching for any sort of library or even game engine I could use to create the buildings I want and kept running into dead ends or something that was very hard to grasp. I believe I will be able to figure out Blender throughout this tutorial I found even tho it is very fast and I must pause and rewind it, It then gives me the option to make the building exactly how I want them and if I do go into to futuristic style I then can create them myself. So I think it kind out evens out my developing team, one of use is doing the crazy programming and the other is doing the crazy graphics :) Is a great learning experience and far much more fun to me then learning programming in which I tried in the past.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That is true! Maybe you will find you like modeling and want to keep going with it :)

Return to “Resources”