How to plan level Designs and Game Environments

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
vitinho444

How to plan level Designs and Game Environments

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys, i found out this amazing website explaining how to plan your level designs and do environments.

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categ ... rkflow.php

Since im creating my forth FPS game i was looking exactly for this.

Good luck with your projects ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: How to plan level Designs and Game Environments

Post by Jackolantern »

That is pretty cool! I went into it skeptical thinking it was actually trying to be a tutorial to show you how to make levels "fun", but was glad to see it wasn't. I have seen a few level design tutorials that try to show you how to make your levels fun, but it just never translates like that since "fun-factor" is illusive and there are no one-size-fits-all rules. I was happy to see rather that the tutorial focused on explaining their workflow and the design process. That is infinitely more useful than some of the ones I have seen before, where the author gives vague, worthless advice like "make players interact with the environment to beat the boss" or "try to get enemies coming in from both sides in tight corridors" lol.

Overall, a good article :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:That is pretty cool! I went into it skeptical thinking it was actually trying to be a tutorial to show you how to make levels "fun", but was glad to see it wasn't. I have seen a few level design tutorials that try to show you how to make your levels fun, but it just never translates like that since "fun-factor" is illusive and there are no one-size-fits-all rules. I was happy to see rather that the tutorial focused on explaining their workflow and the design process. That is infinitely more useful than some of the ones I have seen before, where the author gives vague, worthless advice like "make players interact with the environment to beat the boss" or "try to get enemies coming in from both sides in tight corridors" lol.

Overall, a good article :)
I know right, i was very surprised with it too. I followed every single word and i got some cool ideas to make my levels more accurate to the reality, like the photo references and stuff. Also mapping all the player goals is super mandatory (i wasn't doing that, i was doing like straight objectives like go there, now there, now stop, now walk).

I've learnt so much from it :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

HillHound

Post by HillHound »

Great article!

Return to “Game Design”