2D Music Spaceshooter

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
srachit

2D Music Spaceshooter

Post by srachit »

For: clay.io student HTML5 competition

Concept: Your normal 2D Spaceshooter, the only thing that sets it apart from the others is that the generation of enemies will be based on the music uploaded by the user

Link: http://goo.gl/3qWML

Keys:
Forward Arrow: Thrust
Backward Arrow: Reverse
Right arrow: Rotation towards the right
Left arrow: Rotation towards the left
W: Shoot

Todo:
1) Get the enemies to shoot back
2) Make the font bigger(low priority)
3) Add ability to upload music
4) Generate Enemies based on music uploaded
5) Add timer, to time how long a user is alive

Please tell me what you think of it till now :)

Credits:
Alain: For the ships
Halls: For helping me when I got stuck
Renavoid: For giving me the idea of making this game music based
Last edited by srachit on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a_bertrand

Re: 2D Music Spaceshooter

Post by a_bertrand »

Keys for shoot are odd in my opinion, and the position is also not centered.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
srachit

Post by srachit »

Oh I forgot to put in the keys needed :$
I'll add that in my main post and yea its a bit different, but I was experimenting to see which is most comfortable setup

Oh and what do you mean by centered? as in the ship?
Viper

Post by Viper »

Make it so I can hold down the "shoot" key allowing the ship to continuously fire. Its a feature that most of these games have and it makes the game less exhausting/tedious to play multiple levels.

Otherwise, this is a great start and you are making me feel bad that I havnt started really diving into Impact yet (damn you college).
Renavoid

Post by Renavoid »

Looking pretty cool so far! Keep up the good work!
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

When you rotate your ship, the fire will start... from a different point and not the center of the ship.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Looking good, although I had to play it with the sound off. I will come back when I can turn up the sound to check out the music aspect of it.

And yeah, 'W' was a bit odd for shoot, since typically if a game uses the arrow keys, it is becoming standard practice to put the first key on Z, and then if more are needed, they are filled in this order: X, A, S. I think this is because it is close to being on the same level as the arrow keys.

But that is very minor and I think you are on the right path :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
srachit

Post by srachit »

Jackolantern wrote:Looking good, although I had to play it with the sound off. I will come back when I can turn up the sound to check out the music aspect of it.

And yeah, 'W' was a bit odd for shoot, since typically if a game uses the arrow keys, it is becoming standard practice to put the first key on Z, and then if more are needed, they are filled in this order: X, A, S. I think this is because it is close to being on the same level as the arrow keys.

But that is very minor and I think you are on the right path :)
Ah the key can be changed very easily, I'll do that first when I get on my PC today.
The sound aspect of it has not been added yet, working on basic gameplay before I go ahead and add more to it.
srachit

Post by srachit »

a_bertrand wrote:When you rotate your ship, the fire will start... from a different point and not the center of the ship.
Ah I see, will try to fix that

Edit: Fixed it
srachit

Post by srachit »

Update 1: Putting this game in hold for now, the music implementation thing seems to be a nightmare, so will come back to this when I am not on a time period.

I still have 3weeks and now a good understanding of impactjs, so gonna start a fresh with a new concept.

If any student on here wants to colaboarate on a game for the clay.io competition feel free to hit me up, I still do not know what my game will be like.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”