Dragon Lord

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Kesstryl

Dragon Lord

Post by Kesstryl »

I'm pretty much an absolute beginner so I decided to research scripts and download something simple to pick apart and make into my own game. I chose Dragon Knight, which I learned about here in these forums on a thread with a list of browser engines. I've been working on this since September (been lurking here that long too). I'm a full time college student so I go through periods where I can get a lot done, then times when I'm so focused on school I don't have time to work on it. I've already added a lot of mods and fixes, and currently I'm working on changing the table based layout to divs for future multi screen responsiveness. It hasn't been easy but I've learned so much by taking on this project.

Since the engine is already a complete game, I'm not sure if the project belongs here, but since I'm doing an overhaul, I felt it was appropriate to post it as Tier 1. I have one screenshot linked on the home page so people can see what it looks like without needing to create an account, but anyone here is welcome to create an account if they want to poke around (I won't be offended if you don't, I wasn't sure I was going to post this until I got more done anyway).

The game itself is very simple, basically a RPG with some MUD characteristics like PvP, clans, and chat. One of the first things I did with the engine is come up with my own story to make it unique, and instead of being a dragon knight slaying things and dragons, I thought it would be fun to be the dragon. I appreciate critiques, looking for security holes, and such - just remember I'm not an expert so if you make suggestions, I'm probably going to ask basic questions as opposed to advanced ones. I added a log of updates on the in-game forum so people can see what I've done, and also a next release post so people can see what I'm currently working on.

http://www.rpg.sonyaireland.com
Renavoid

Re: Dragon Lord

Post by Renavoid »

So, I took a look, and I don't know why. I think it looks great, but I don't play these types of games... So, I don't really have much feedback other than it's a little annoying that some of the popup windows for things like Inventory and Quests seem very scrunched. I know that it technically fits since there isn't the horizontal scrolling bar, but some whitespace would make it easier on the eyes. I take that back. The View Map popup doesn't fit into the box for me.

I do like how it looks. I got the following when I clicked on my own name for Users Online in the past 10 minutes. It linked to http://www.rpg.sonyaireland.com/index.p ... inechar:11

Code: Select all

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<<' (T_SL) in /homepages/22/d355892482/htdocs/RPG/templates/onlinechar.php on line 2
Keep up the progress! In response to one of your threads... You don't really NEED to redo the site with divs unless you want to - or if it was done in a particularly horrific fashion. The fact is, it's easier to build some layouts quickly with tables (particularly a 3 column layout like this).
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
Renavoid

Post by Renavoid »

Also, I tried to go to N3 E2 as suggested in the New Senses quest, but got this error when I "arrived":

Unknown column 'companioncode' in 'field list'
So, there's a few bugs abound. But, I still think it looks nice.
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Renavoid wrote:Also, I tried to go to N3 E2 as suggested in the New Senses quest, but got this error when I "arrived":

Unknown column 'companioncode' in 'field list'
So, there's a few bugs abound. But, I still think it looks nice.
Yep, I got that one, too, which pretty much ends the game for now, as it occurs during the intro quest :(
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

Thanks for all the feedback. I need to delete that companion quest, I tried writing a pet script which didn't work, forgot I left the companion field in for it in. I plan to add it in the distant future after more experience with php. Right now there are only 5 quests. I need to write a whole lot more of them, maybe some repeatable ones. Kinda took a step back to work on the html, which changing out of table based to div based is a bear for me. As for some of the scrunched up pop up window text, I can fix that easily. Right now it's set on the default that came with the original engine. The quest system is actually a mod (I didn't write it) that I added into the original game so it will take time to write different quests for all the different towns/lairs. The original game was just walk along and hack em up, I wanted a quest system so a story would unfold. I want to add alignments too so you can determine what kind of dragon you become, whether a diabolic evil one or an honorable good one, or a little of both.

Thanks for pointing this out:
Renavoid wrote:CODE: SELECT ALL
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<<' (T_SL) in /homepages/22/d355892482/htdocs/RPG/templates/onlinechar.php on line 2
I wonder what's causing that. Going to go look into it.
Last edited by Kesstryl on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

Okay I fixed the parse error, found the mistake.

I'm having trouble with the quests now, not sure what happened, it all worked before. My host did update the PHP version and I'm wondering if that messed something up.
Last edited by Kesstryl on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! I will try it out again in a little bit! :)

As far as quest content, you could create dynamically generated quests as the bulk of the available quests, since most boil down to fetch quests, go talk to someone, kill something, etc. And then have separate, static quests for important quests related to the game world. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

The quest system is not working at the moment (after deleting the companionid field from the database. I'm looking for what's wrong. Will let you know when it's working again. My host did recently update it's PHP version, not sure if that's what's wrong or just broken code.
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

Fixed it, quests are now available. Whew
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very awesome that you are working with Dragon Knight and making it your own and better. I will try this out in a bit.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”