My Sandbox Game, WIP

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Luke111

My Sandbox Game, WIP

Post by Luke111 »

Hi everyone!
I am back with a new game (in progress)! Anyone heard of 0x10c? Well it inspired me to make another sandbox game.
Here's (some) specs of the crafting system:
1. Gather the resources. This can be accomplished via ax, sickle, or pickax.
There will be a few resources to start (rubber, stone, coal, wood, metal), and a few herbs to gather (parsley, sage, mint, eucalyptus, nutmeg).
2. Refine these resources into base parts, potions, or fuel.
3. Put the base parts together into mechanical or electrical parts, weapons or ammo (or furniture).
4. Build the platform for your space ship.
5. Assemble the outside of your space ship (it can look like anything, literally).
6. Add the appropriate engines for your space ship, and wire the electrical parts.
7. Attach the generator and computer.
8. Code the space ship's controls, or maybe a game (or an OS).
9. Launch and fight other space ships for XP... OR start a business building spaceships, coding, or gathering (be warned, there is friendly fire!)

There is a lot more detail planned out already, but this is not the place for it.

What do you all think?
-Luke
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.
Jackolantern

Re: My Sandbox Game, WIP

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds cool so far! What platform/technology are you planning this out for? :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

My standard advice for any large project - break it down into playable gameplay (even if a mini game) from early on. So being able to play the first parts of the game will inspire finishing the rest. Rather than being unable to play until you finish the whole thing, which would then lack the inspiration gained from play.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
Ark

Post by Ark »

great advice callan!
Orgullo Catracho
Luke111

Post by Luke111 »

Hi everyone! It is being made in BlitzMax with Xors3D (so Windows only, unless I port it over to minib3d).
I have already got character models working in it, as well as a chase cam and in-game computers. I am now doing a second test, this one is for multiplayer. There are some problems with my personal networking library, I am now trying to work those out.
Here's an URL: http://www.spaceleet.com
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.

Return to “Game Design”