HTML5 Game Development Course

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
xcalpro

HTML5 Game Development Course

Post by xcalpro »

Udacity is now offering a free HTML5 game dev class.. http://www.udacity.com/overview/Course/ ... ourseRev/1
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
Jackolantern

Re: HTML5 Game Development Course

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! :)

How do these classes work? Are they video tutorials? Or are they more like a college class where you have work assigned, etc.?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
xcalpro

Post by xcalpro »

This will be my first Udacity course, but I have taken courses on Coursera, Code Academy, Alison, and Code School. The way they usually work is, you are given some video lectures to watch and then you do some related assignment to test your knowledge. The assignments can range from entering some code on their website IDE or taking a quiz. By far the best one was Coursera's Python course which had you created different mini games each week using their web Python editor. By the end of the 8 weeks, we were able to create a fully featured Asteroid's clone in Python.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds cool! I may have to check this out :)
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I am interested in this as well. Does anyone here have experience with Udacity? Is it really free? Can you take as long as you want to work through the lessons? With my schedule right now I would fall behind pretty quick, but in a few months I'd like to be able to do the course material :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think Halls actually released a course with them. Maybe he can give you some points about them :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I just read their FAQ, which should answer most of your questions. After reading it, I went ahead and enrolled as well, even though I will probably be very busy at that time as well. It is free (it seems they make their money from offering paid examinations for a certificate, which obviously you would not want to do), and you can take as long as you want to work through the course material and do the assignments. It is basically a free, in-depth video tutorial series with some work to help you learn. Sounds like win-win to me :cool:
Hamilton

Post by Hamilton »

I think this looks good as well.
I'll sign up once I have finished relocating... got it bookmarked.
Sign off,
Hamilton
dbest

Post by dbest »

I have signed up for the course. However, I will be on an business trip during the same period and may not be very active.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Sorry did not see this thread.

I released a course on Udemy. Has done pretty good so far.

Return to “Resources”