This tutorial and HALLSNODE

Impact, Node, Web Sockets, Javascript, HTML5, Mysql, tons of things in this tutorial
Burxat

This tutorial and HALLSNODE

Post by Burxat »

I've been watching your videos and they are great. The thing is that some of the files in nodejs and socket.io have changed.. so it's kinda difficult to make it work all together (with the newer files i mean). Using the files that you posted it works fine (basic multiplayer interaction).
Now i see your new project HALLSNODE, should i recapitulate to that? Or may i wait to finish this section? (whenever you finish it, i can do some things but well, i'm not that pro :D )

Btw, no rush needed, keep up the great job!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: This tutorial and HALLSNODE

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

You can download Hallsnode and use it as is if you want. Sadly I have been away from game development for some time. My new job has me doing a ton of C# development and Continual Integration development so I have not had a change to look at node for some time. I will try to take some time to check out the changes.
Burxat

Post by Burxat »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:You can download Hallsnode and use it as is if you want. Sadly I have been away from game development for some time. My new job has me doing a ton of C# development and Continual Integration development so I have not had a change to look at node for some time. I will try to take some time to check out the changes.
Just don't worry, some files change a bit, that's all.
I don't know anything about javascript and i'm learning on my own (using impact), it's gonna be a little difficult for me to put my impact project with your hallsnode but i'm going to try it.
Take it easy on your new job, and thanks for the answer! :)

PD = i'll be watching the forums :D

PD2 = this is my project (it's just up whenever i'm working on it), when i saw your hallsnode.. i was like: omg, all i want to do it's already done here :lol:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

glad you fund some use in it. I am actually workingon some new tutorials now.
Burxat

Post by Burxat »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:glad you fund some use in it. I am actually workingon some new tutorials now.
hallsnode tuts? or a whole new thing?

By the way, I want to store my game's data on a mysql database and get it using php, i assume i can get it to use with the javascript's impact code right?

PD=If you don't understand my english just say it and i'll try harder :lol: (yeah, i know :oops: )
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

ajax is your best bet there.
Burxat

Post by Burxat »

Yep, i'm trying out some POST using AJAX andi t seems pretty easy (just some form submiting and stuff). What i've realised is that i will barely use impact, i'll just use it for creating a persistent world. I mean.. what i want to do is:

Persistent world (multiplayer) ->Impactjs + node + socket.io -> Very simple, just exploring the world and accessing to npc's that launches database logic.
Player info -> mysql + php -> Will be shown in a simple div. (ie. Number of battles, wins, looses, most used pokemon, actual team, etc)
Player actions -> mysql + php -> Will be shown in a simple div. (ie. Using an item to a pokemon, checking the pokedex, etc)
Battle system -> mysql + php (may i use node and socket.io here?) I'm thinking on a FinalFantasyTactics / Dofus mode. In your turn, you can move your pokemon on a square based terrain by spending movement points and you can also attack and complete actions by using action points. (eg. Pidgey example turn. Move 2 squares forward (saves 1 movement point) uses potion (2 action points of a total of 6), uses gust (3 action point, on a pokemon that is now 1 square far), and moves backwards 1 square.

All the things i want to do are quite easy with mysql, i just have to figure it out how to use AJAX properly whenever i want to launch my events from impact npc's. I also have to get my multiplayer persistent world working, i'm having some troubles with it.. i'm not quite good at following tutorials (i mean, whenever i have to change something, i screw it all :D )
born2bagamer

Post by born2bagamer »

Looking forward to your new videos Halls. I have watched every video on your youtube page so far. I started working with Impactjs in school last spring. It was my first real introduction to javascript, and working with that engine actually helped me more than trying to figure out everything myself. Now that I graduated (with a degree in mobile development), I have more time to actually build something worth putting out there. I worked with Node.js, MongoDB, and Socket.IO in my final project so I have a decent understanding of how to use them for what I want to accomplish; but I could use more in-depth tutorials on how to best use them with Impactjs.

I am looking to create something along the lines of http://www.nexustk.com, but with a more "western" feel. I am still trying to figure out the best technology stack for this project. I am hoping to support 1000 players per shard/server, so I hope node will be able to handle this. I am also torn between relational and non-relational databases; for example: mongodb and mysql. I know that non-relational is quicker, but I like having stuff structured well. (ie. tables)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Its not web based but NetGore would be a good choice to handle that type of game.

For web based then Node is definitely an option. Maybe playcraft will have its multiplayer up soon.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The structure of No-SQL databases is not bad hehe ;) It is just different, and very well-suited for games. Most No-SQL databases are set up in some kind of self-enclosed package for each object. For example, in MongoDB, each object you want to store is stored basically as a Javascript JSON object. The result of this is that instead of having a table for all the addresses, a table for the user's names, and a table for their orders, you could just have something like this:

Code: Select all

{
   "id": 89274511,
   "user": "Gruman23",
   "name": "Dave Shultz",
   "address": "1321 Roadway Blvd.",
   "admin-warnings": "Being a jerk",
   "orders": [
      {"title": "Seven Seas", "date": "12.24.2012"},
      {"title": "Black Beard", "date": "11.01.2011"}
   ]
}
In this way, all data relating to the object, in this case a user of an e-commerce website, is kept in one place. It is also schema-less, meaning you can add anything you want to any object (for example, the "admin-warnings" above is likely an ad-hoc addition, which would be bad to do in a SQL database, but makes no difference here), and it can be retrieved later by simple searches. SQL is not needed because you don't have to make complex joins, or anything like that. If you just type in the ID of the user, all data you could want about the user is pulled-up with it.

I am a fan of No-SQL, but it isn't the best choice for all situations. Businesses needing to make lots of long and complex comparisons between users, sales, etc. would probably be better off with the amazing flexibility of SQL. Many games where complex business-intelligence data comparisons are not needed would be better served with No-SQL :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Impact and Node/Socket.io”