jGen: Open source isometric JS game engine

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
Jackolantern

jGen: Open source isometric JS game engine

Post by Jackolantern »

While even the author admits this engine is still early in its life, I figured I would post it because I know there are people here interested in making isometric web games. Isometric is a bit of a problem in existing JS game engines since it requires a completely different drawing and physics system. It would basically require a rewrite of major aspects of the engine. If you are interested in isometric JS games, maybe try checking out jGen. I think you would still have a fair amount of work to do to get it into a completed form, but you could have a major head start on the isometric components.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: jGen: Open source isometric JS game engine

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Its a good start. Excited about seeing it progress for sure.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That is about how I felt about it, too. I would take a great knowledge of JS game development to work with it due to all the work needed to be done, but maybe it could be something that progresses further into something easy to use :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I found a much more complete and compelling isometric JS game engine called pp3Diso. Unfortunately it is French. I have not read into the code, but I am assuming the comments are all French, too. I have not seen any options for an English site, but Google Translate does a pretty good job of making it workable in Chrome. The documentation sucks, but for isometric JS game development, I think this would be a dev's best open source bet. Isogenic is still likely the best choice overall.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wow thanks for this link!

Return to “Resources”