XNA

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
Sakar

XNA

Post by Sakar »

Not sure if this should be in Engines so I put it here. Move it if you want :)

So recently I decided to try out XNA since I got tired of waiting for my B-day, and I can use what I learn about C# syntax in Unity scripting. Anyway, I wanted to know what everybody thought about XNA and if anyone had used it. I personally have found it fairly easy to use and learned that I enjoy coding a lot more than I thought I would :)

Thoughts? Experiences? And for those who haven't heard of it, here's the website.
Falken

Re: XNA

Post by Falken »

I made a small 2D side scroller shooter in it in school as examination project in Programming C#. XNA is a very capable framework, and is a great start as you don't need to learn the low level things and instead learn the concept of game programming. Can definetly recommend the book Microsoft XNA Unleashed, one of the best game programming books I ever read actually.
--- Game Database ---
For all your game information needs!
Visit us at: http://www.gamedatabase.eu today!
yuinyo

Post by yuinyo »

Wasn't their a book supposed to be published in july that shows how to create a mmorpg in XNA it was on the mmorpg maker forums a while ago.
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

#yuinyo
Yes there is a how to make an MMO using XNA. Although it's not really for beginners its for people with intermediate to advanced knowledge with XNA.

#Sakar
I have used XNA in the past. Its a very nifty game library for C#. Personally I think most of C#'s success is due to the introduction of XNA.
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

I'm already feeling successful! Thanks to the help of the Platformer game template I've already nearly completed all the gameplay elements for one of my simpler games! Once I finish up a bit of code and add in my own assets I'll let you guys try it out :D
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Very cool can't wait to try it out.
Blender/XSI user
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

I want to try it :)
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.
Utohaha

Post by Utohaha »

Nice Sakar, good luck on it!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

[quote="Raven67854"#Sakar]I have used XNA in the past. Its a very nifty game library for C#. Personally I think most of C#'s success is due to the introduction of XNA.[/quote]

C# was in wide-spread use years before XNA was released. C# is merely popular because Java skills are portable to it, and it leverages the .NET platform for creating web applications. As far as web applications go, .NET is the most complete platform ever made. It is just a little jumbled and can be hard for new users to wrap their head around the class library (which is the largest ever packed in with a general-purpose language). I like C#, but it is also nice that if you learn Java, you basically know the syntax and usage in C#.

And yes, there is a book coming out, but it has been pushed back. It now lists it as May 18, 2010, so you definitely have a while to work with XNA before it comes out. Here is the Amazon link here.
Last edited by Jackolantern on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Jackolantern wrote:[quote="Raven67854"#Sakar
I have used XNA in the past. Its a very nifty game library for C#. Personally I think most of C#'s success is due to the introduction of XNA.
C# was in wide-spread use years before XNA was released. C# is merely popular because Java skills are portable to it, and it leverages the .NET platform for creating web applications. As far as web applications go, .NET is the most complete platform ever made. It is just a little jumbled and can be hard for new users to wrap their head around the class library (which is the largest ever packed in with a general-purpose language). I like C#, but it is also nice that if you learn Java, you basically know the syntax and usage in C#.

And yes, there is a book coming out, but it has been pushed back. It now lists it as May 18, 2010, so you definitely have a while to work with XNA before it comes out. Here is the Amazon link here.
I know C# was out for years. I have used it long before XNA. But if you read what I said I specifically said to the rise of C# mostly came from the introduction of XNA. I mean seriously before XNA most people had never heard of C#. And Visual Basic.net was used more than C# was. It was used in just business applications. Yes C# and Java have there similarity's but I much prefer C# much more than I do java. Also .net isn't just for web applications. Actually .net's entire purpose isn't for .net applications :P. .net is the virtual machine upon programs written for .net are run on. Which if you use C# is probably every program you make. But there is silverlight written specifically for web environment. And about that book. yeah it is a shame it's not out yet, and yeah you definitely don't wanna be a beginner to XNA but hey if you got some experience under your belt you should defiantly buy it.

Also fix your quote tags.
Blender/XSI user

PC Specs:
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64

Return to “Coding”