Arx

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
mattykins

Arx

Post by mattykins »

I've been hard at work on a new bullet hell shmup titled, Arx! In a nutshell, it is a 100% bossrush manic shooter game with a polar movement system and bosses made of parts. I am working in Scala using LWJGL(Lighteweight java game library, essentially an OpenGL(and the other opens too) wrapper for Java. But Scala can use any Java libraries)

(That gradient lazer always shoots towards the player, and originates from the center of the boss(the green block), so no camping now! ;) )

I've been working on this project solo for about 1 1/2 weeks now. Right now the engine is 90% done. The only thing left to do to complete the engine is make a Menu(Ughhhhh!)

Completed:
  • Movement system
    Customizable bosses
    Loading bosses from files
    A fair amount of particle effects
    Many different 'building blocks' for bosses, but many more to come
    About 5 bosses done
Todo:
  • Menu system(Very much so not looking forward to this)
    More particle effects
    Sound effects
    Music
    My end-project goal is 100 bosses divided into 10 realms(essentially very-easy through very-hard), so 95 bosses left!
Hyena

Re: Arx

Post by Hyena »

sounds fun :P

I also love the graphics style, reminds me of the arcade games
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Definitely cool! Since it is in Java using OpenGL could it be ported to Android?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

It's actually in Scala, but since that compiles to JVM bytecode; Yes android porting is possible :)

However sadly, this project is on hold. I'm going to do a full rewrite of it(ugh, over 1200 lines) pretty soon here. I used too much programming "Duct Tape" haha. Also I would like to use XML to define the bosses rather than the plaintext system i'm using right now. Also I will probably just rewrite it in Java.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Hmmm, remember some of the finest paintings in art galleries probably involved alot of redundant work. Atleast respect your former iteration of the code as an accomplishment in itself :)

Also, where's the player in that screen shot? Is it the triangle on the circle (I was thinking that was a cursor)?
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Yes, the triangle is the ship :) You rotate around the boss on a polar movement path(And in some cases some parts of the boss are on the outside of the circle ;) )

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”