Hi guys

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.
Nexus

Hi guys

Post by Nexus »

Hi all, I hope most of you remember me. :P I'm trying to get myself back into coding as my interests keep changing and I lose touch with what I love to do. :( Anyways just wanted to let you know I'll be around the forums and hopefully getting back into the swing of things and begin some projects! I really miss working on HPD which was a great game and I hope to get in touch with 62896dude again someday and we can finish it. :) I hope all of you have been well and I hope you all welcome me back warmly. :D If anyone has any tips as to how I can keep my mind on coding and such I'd be happy to hear them. :P Anyways have a good one!

-Nexus
Jackolantern

Re: Hi guys

Post by Jackolantern »

Definitely remember you! HPD was a great looking project :)

My main suggestion is to work on some smaller things you can finish and be proud of. Maybe try getting an HTML5 traditional game development engine like ImpactJS ($100) or CraftyJS (free) so you can make some smaller HTML5 games. It doesn't mean you can't have a lofty, large PBBG game as a project, but sometimes you just need to complete something to get you back into programming, and a large MMO-style game that can take over a year or more to complete just isn't going to offer that on a reasonable time scale. There are also several options to get HTML5 games in mobile OS app stores, so you can even make some extra money off of them, too.

If you really want to stay in PHP, why not think up some interesting script ideas that don't seem to exist at the moment, write them, make them open source on GitHub, and upload them to one of the many open source PHP script websites. Even if they only get a bit of usage, it can be a great source of pride just to see your name on a completed piece of work.

Or if you want a PHP project that others will get a lot of usage out of, you could also make a Javascript/PHP map or game editor for an existing game engine that either doesn't have one, or has a bad or low-feature one. How about a tile map editor for CraftyJS? I can't seem to find one on there, and its popularity is growing :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Nexus

Re: Hi guys

Post by Nexus »

yeah that's my main problem is I've never finished a project in my life lol. :) I'll look into making a small HTML5 game to start off with, I remember the basics of PHP and all that jazz. I remember being proud of a random events system I created for HPD for when you go Scavenging in the Forbidden Forest :P ah memories! Anyways thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely look into CraftyJS (seeing as it's free ;) )

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”