MUD using PHP and AJAX?

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Noctrine

Re: MUD using PHP and AJAX?

Post by Noctrine »

OOP Javascript, and OOP Php and you are set :P

I don't know why, for the most part I really like OOP (even though non-oop is faster) but something about going oop with my php scares me.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Jackolantern

Re: MUD using PHP and AJAX?

Post by Jackolantern »

Noctrine wrote:OOP Javascript, and OOP Php and you are set :P

I don't know why, for the most part I really like OOP (even though non-oop is faster) but something about going oop with my php scares me.
OOP just does not seem to lend itself to every situation in PHP. There is a certain size of an application where there is a "break-even" point between OOP and procedural. If a program is smaller than that point, it will be shorter, more organized and more legible using procedural. If it is larger than that break-even point, it will be shorter, more organized and more legible written with OOP. Basically, if your application has a set of entities that fit neatly into a class hierarchy, it is better and much faster to use OOP. But I just don't see a lot of that in PHP script, which tend to be shorter, tight scripts for focused functionality that use very little abstract concepts.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Development”