Collecting opinions for my game design suite.

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Seisatsu

Collecting opinions for my game design suite.

Post by Seisatsu »

Hi, I'm one of the authors of the Alpha-stage Tsunagari Tile Engine, showcased here.

I decided to make a survey to collect data about what kind of features I should include in the engine (it's more of a game design suite, really.) The survey is aimed toward people who have used an all-encompassing game design suite before. Since it doesn't seem to be discouraged in the rules, I'd like to link the survey here, and also collect opinions about what makes or breaks a game design suite in general. I hope this is ok.

If you've used a game design suite before, please help me out for a few minutes by telling me about what you look for in a game design suite. The survey is here.

Results will be posted later for the benefit of the community. Also feel free to tell me if this belongs in another board.
Jackolantern

Re: Collecting opinions for my game design suite.

Post by Jackolantern »

Could you explain what you mean by "game design suite"? I am thinking you are probably talking about an all-encompassing game engine, that includes an IDE of sorts, where you can create terrain, script behaviors, assemble levels, etc., all inside the editors themselves. Is that what you mean? If not, then I guess I am not familiar with what a game design suite is.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Seisatsu

Post by Seisatsu »

Jackolantern wrote:I am thinking you are probably talking about an all-encompassing game engine, that includes an IDE of sorts, where you can create terrain, script behaviors, assemble levels, etc., all inside the editors themselves. Is that what you mean?
Yes, sorry, that's what I mean. Something like RPG Maker, a game engine including an IDE, map editor, and other tools to make a game without much coding.

I'm trying to collect data about users' previous experiences with other design suites, what they liked and disliked about that software, and what they would like to see in a game design suite.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I started up on the survey but will have to think about it and come back to it. Usually surveys are more "yes/no", "strongly agree/agree/neutral/disagree/strongly disagree" and multi-choice answers. By not requiring people to actually come up with things they do or don't like about specific things and write them down, if you anticipate answers, and instead just add "Other" options with blank fields to add choices that were not offered, you are stimulating people to think about their experiences with the thing you are wanting the survey about. It also makes the survey much easier to take.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I too will come back and answer after I put some thought into it
Seisatsu

Post by Seisatsu »

Here's the survey results.

I never posted this because I got less than 20 answers, so there's not much resolution. Well, I promised so here it is. (A few months late though.)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Interesting stuff even with the smallish sample size! I was particularly floored to see that no one paid for their RPG Maker software, and how many people would not be willing to pay for game creation software lol :shock:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

wow yeah thats crazy. RPG Maker 95 was awesome! It was more like Final Fantasy Tactics.
Seisatsu

Post by Seisatsu »

Keep in mind that many of the samples come from the fangame maker subcommunity at Uboachan, so they may be skewed in comparison to the general game design crowd. This is because Uboachan is my base of operations for community feedback and testing for my engine.

Return to “Game Design”