A vps with node.js?

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Ark

A vps with node.js?

Post by Ark »

Hello is it possible to install node.js on a vps? personally i don't have a vps a friend does. Also if I got a vps with node for example how to run an app? or the server.js file on it? As for how Halls teach it on localhost, you need to run the server.bat file in order to run it. Is it the same way with a vps?

sorry if the question is stupid I never had a vps D:

Although I also ask this because some vps with node.js already on it are like $20+ and I think there're some vps that are cheaper than that.
thanks!
Orgullo Catracho
Chris

Re: A vps with node.js?

Post by Chris »

Well considering it's a virtual private server (VPS) you would be allowed to do whatever the hell you want with it.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Ark

Post by Ark »

Coool!
Orgullo Catracho
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

you just have it listen to the port available and have the clients connect to the server IP.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Be careful about those $20 "node hosting" deals. Like most newer technologies, there are hosts trying to take advantage of the fact that many people are wanting hosting for something without really established prices. It happened with .NET, Ruby on Rails, and others. As was already touched on, the best thing to do is just get a VPS and install and run it yourself.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Ark

Post by Ark »

But why? I thought would be good idea since I could to have like another server to host app.js files for other games to (well i've not even done my first one! :P ) and use its resources instead of the server which I host the client side.. (hope I explained correctly).

well is this a bad idea?
Orgullo Catracho
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You can break up multiple servers anyway you like. I was merely warning against "node hosting" as it stands right now because it is over-priced. Because it is hot right now and there are really no set prices, a "node VPS" costs around $20 - $90 from what I have seen, whereas if you got a basic VPS and installed node yourself, you would probably be paying about $7 - $40 for those same specs.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

you can host multiple nodes from one server using different ports as well but if they are really popular then the traffic may be an issue.

Return to “WebSite”