Console Craft!

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
mattykins

Console Craft!

Post by mattykins »

First of all I just want to thank everyone on the Indie Resource forums <3 Without you guys i probably couldn't even write a hello world program.

I wrote this game as sort of a self test, to see if i could do it. And i did :) Its based on the game minecraft, but its a console app in C#. there are 8 blocks if you include air and bedrock. 6 of the 8 are placeable.

You move using the numpad, so 8 directions. And you place blocks by pressing their corresponding key followed by a direction on the numpad, so W then 6 would place a "wall" block to the right of the player

Heres a screenshot:

And a link to the game: http://www.mediafire.com/?f2xouze2o2aqpr7
NOTE: It is still rather buggy, especially when you try to place blocks really fast. and if blocks arent placing and your only moving once per every 2 keypresses just start spamming directions and q, it will fix itself :P
Jackolantern

Re: Console Craft!

Post by Jackolantern »

Haha! Nice screenshot :D

Cool game, too! I am surprised to see how smooth the movement is!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Thanks :D When you suggested I use stringbuilder it really smoothed up the movement, because the whole thing refreshes in just 2 write functions(board and the inventory) :) You only really see the screen blink when you move fast.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

very kewl man! Very creative as well.
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Thanks! And I injured my foot snowboarding yesterday so i'll be home from school. i'll begin working on survival mode, ie you have to gather your materials and craft your items :)
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Just as a headsup I haven't abandoned this project, in fact i've put in a lot more work into it, rebuilding it from scratch :). Still using C# but it will be fully compatible with linux through the use of Mono. I'm working on world generation and map storage at the moment :)

Heres a few upadted screenshots:

Forest biome generation, I still need to tweak it a bit but this is it so far:

And here is desert biome generation, I still need to make it so cacti can't spawn right next to anything other than empty space:

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

holy crap that's awesome!

It does burn my eyes a bit though :)
VZdemon

Post by VZdemon »

link is broken :(
it's VZdaemon on xbox live
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Iz looking at matrix?

What sort of generation is it? Rolling on a table, or procedural, with many generations begetting each other?
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

That looks super confusing D:

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”