Operation: Terraform 2.0

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Perry

Operation: Terraform 2.0

Post by Perry »

We have pretty much giving up the old version from my other post. So I made a new one to show off the new version.

The game concept is very similar to the old version. You are a colonist on a new planet. This time however we are focusing more on the earth before you leave to become a colonist as well.

This is the basic game design document we are working with. I update the forum version first, so please check there for updates.

Title
Operation: Terraform

Short Description
This is a very a game with a lot of freedom for the players as well as an open story line and skill system. The graphics will be similar to steam punk games. While the look of the game is often dark, the theme is both dark and at other times more happy or bright.

Game Type/Genre
It is a browser based, steam punk style open, UGC (user generated content) RPG.

Scenario
The game is set in the future when events lead to Earth becoming more and more uninhabitable, which means people must start a new society on a new planet. As the player, you will be tasked with colonizing this planet by collecting resources, fighting monsters, building shops and homes along with many other exciting things.

Game System
While creating Operation Terraform, our goal is to immerse the player in a completely different world as well as use a large amount of player created content to create a very different game.

Game Play
We plan to use group based quests to unite players against large bosses as well as have a PVP system to make sure everyone experiences the game they would love to play. We also plan to make crafting as big a part of this game as combat, which is something most games overlook.

Game Layout
We are making this game in 3 parts. Each will be a complete part of the game. More will be released on this later.

Game Story
Rough Draft wrote:The satellite images are getting clearer by the day. In less than 3 months, the asteroid will collide with Earth. Astronomers around the world have been constantly running the numbers and suspect the comet will crash somewhere in the North Atlantic Ocean, potentially causing the loss of millions of lives in North America and throughtout Europe. The impact of the asteroid is not the worst part, as it is not large enough to destroy the entire planet. The massive shockwave it will send through the Earth's layers, however, could cause severe damage.

A small group of scientists, led by Xavier Cortez, in North America have solved the problem the crisis has brought about though. Instead of trying to evacuate everyone, they have developed a machine that can reconstruct human bodies from DNA samples as well as memories in order to completely recreate them. They plan to catalog everyone's DNA and memories, let them risk it during the comet strike, then reconstruct anyone who does not survive. This will be no easy task though. The projected location of the impact suggests many will not survive, leaving the number needing to be reconstructed very in the billions. Because they have such little time, the citizens feel this it the only option and relectantly agree.
This is only part of the story, because it is much longer and I am often adding more, tweaking it, etc. please check the forums for the full version. Also just like the rest of the game design doc, I update the one on the forums most often so check that one for the most current version.

Now for something for you guys to look at :D

We have a great concept artist from JMB Creative Art & Illustration working with us to create the basic idea for how the game will look. I think he has done pretty good with this piece. It captures the colors we are going for, as well as the style of buildings and look of dirty pollution, which is part of the reason for people needing to get off the planet.

Concept Art:

We also have a very early screenshot showing what our lead programmer has been hard at work to create in javascript.

Screenshot:

All feedback is welcome. Thanks :)
Last edited by Perry on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackolantern

Re: Operation: Terraform 2.0

Post by Jackolantern »

Hmm...images are showing broken on my end. Everything else is sounding good, though!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Images are broken with me too. But it sounds awesome :) I will most definantly play.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Images should be fixed. Let me know if they still aren't please. Thanks :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Awesome!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yep, I can see them now! And it was worth the wait! Please let us know of any new screen shots as they come up. This looks promising!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Perry

Post by Perry »

I will definitely post any new screenshots. Our concept artist is also working on the next piece of concept art as well. So plenty more to come. We are still actively searching for an artist to do tiles and buildings and all. When we find one, the screenshots will look much better.
Liquid Shock Games

Post by Liquid Shock Games »

Good work, great story line and I love the concept art. Will be checking back for updates.
Liquid Shock Games
Perry

Post by Perry »

Thanks! I am glad you like the story, but it still needs a lot of work to be where we want it. It is not a bad start though.

Update: Concept artist is working on next piece. We also might have another character concept artist. We still have to figure out a few things with them. Will post anything new as soon as possible.
Perry

Post by Perry »

So nothing new to show at this point. I have someone who I think will be helping me edit the story some, but not sure yet. Other new concept artist didn't work out. The one we have has given a draft of a new piece and is working away on it. Expect more media soon. :)

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”