XNA error

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
mattykins

XNA error

Post by mattykins »

So thanks to suggestions from this awesome community, I downloaded XNA framework. I opened up a new project and out of curiosity, hit the run button. I expected the application to open and close quickly, Or to show a blank screen like it does in Forms and Console applications, however it gave me this wierd error.

Should I be concerned?
I'm wondering because I don't want to start on a project, only to get this error when I attempt to run it.

EDIT: I tried to run the Shooter game included in one of the XNA tutorials that someone had mentioned here.
Xaleph

Re: XNA error

Post by Xaleph »

Ah classic :) Shouldn`t be to hard to fix, you should open the Assembly.info file and uhm... check one option I believe, but i`m unsure which one right now... Let me google it.

edit:
please read:
link
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Thanks! it worked perfect :D
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

As you may have read in that link, XNA now supports 2 very different profiles, "Reach" and "HiDef". HiDef is the default, and requires a graphics card that supports DirectX 10 and a host of other features in the GPU (a full comparison can be found here). HiDef is primarily for high-end PC and Xbox 360 games. Reach is for Windows Phone 7, and other games that do not use high-end 3D graphics. Reach mode primarily exists to remove unsupported GPU features for projects that will be targeting WP7, or to expand the potential playerbase of PC games that don't require the extra 3D power.

If you are developing on something like a laptop, it is likely that you cannot support the HiDef profile. You are more than welcome to code in it on your laptop, or low-end desktop, but you will have to test on the Xbox 360 or a more powerful PC. If you are just getting started out, it will be a long time before you will be able to take advantage of HiDef mode, and you will be working in 2D in Reach mode for a while.

To change to Reach profile, right-click your solution in the Solution Explorer, and select Properties. Make sure the "XNA Game Studio" tab is selected, and then choose which profile you want to work in.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”