Text based rpg engine question

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
MikeD

Re: Text based rpg engine question

Post by MikeD »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for as I didn't quite understand what you needed.

If you need a forum that can integrate to the rest of your site, try SimpleMachinesForum. It has the ssi.php which connects to the rest of your site from the forum.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Something I am working on

http://indie-resource.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=73

but as far as RPG in the forums I an not sure of any. I know they exist. PHPBB has a module for it
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't know of any available right off the bat, but that doesn't mean you couldn't make the adjustments yourself. There are two different ways you could do it.

First, whatever forum system you use, look at how it stores its users once they sign up. Then look at whatever PBBG engine you want to use, and see how they store their users. Then add the missing fields from the PBBG account table to the forum account table. The hard part would be updating all of the SQL queries in the game engine to ensure that the game pulls account data from the forum's table instead.

An easier method may be to open up the forum system's sign-up script, and simply inject some code to either call the sign-up script for the game engine with the forum username and password (create an object if it is done OO, or simply require_once() the script if it is procedural), or just copy the code out of the game's sign-up script and paste it right into the forum sign-up script.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

ripping a mod to pieces probably wouldnt get you very far due to the fact it usually relies on functions built into the forum software in order to run properly.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2134480 there is this one in development for phpbb3

Having spent abit of time playing inside phpbb3, i can tell you its not that hard to build something inside of the forum itself. Bridging the user details can be a pain, but fairly easy to do.

I would give it ago yaself tbh
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

So are you after a game that runs off of a forum user database / software on a seperate section of the site? or a game that runs in the forum itself? By this i mean that you can randomly be dragged into a battle as you browse the forums, or pick up loot by clicking a topic.

I dont think there is any problems offering people payed freelance work. I however dont really have the time to fluff about with phpbb at the moment lol.

If i was you i would post in the recruitment section, specify exactly what you want if you want someones assistance or to pay someone for it. However I dont think it would be that cheap.

As for ajax, I find it to be a right royal pain in the buttox. So I use (and would push it on anyone tbh) jQuery.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

go to video 38 the last one. It is all there.

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”