Where should I start?

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Gunner

Where should I start?

Post by Gunner »

Hello everyone,
I was decided to jump from basic browser based RPG game, into a flash based RPG game. I need to ask something here
What language should I start learn? I will focus on it because my current PHP game has been stopped. I was imagine that it can be done in flash, but please tell me the basics. Especially a client that can be downloaded and run in a window mode, does not requires heavy animation and graphics

Thank you!

Regards
Gunner
Xaleph

Re: Where should I start?

Post by Xaleph »

If you want a flash RPG you need to learn Flash and ActionScript. You`ll probably need a good IDE and/or editor. Adobe has one but there are free alternatives. It`s not a tough language, but it`s best to know at least some programming languages to get started working in AS, mostly because it is an OO language.

Graphics can also be done in Flash, mostly vector images so no scaling issues. On the desktop thing, you dont want Flash to be an MMO run from the desktop, because if you really want a desktop game there are tons of better engines and languages out there to use. Flash is a no-go for desktop. Maybe look into Python`s game engine?
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

The engine will look like this
http://pf.playomg.com/
Try to register and login there, and play once to view the engines only.
That game normally played on the browser, but one full page is used as a flash. You should try it.
And one of their version is downloadable client, which is 100% same as the browser version, only it does not takes too long time to load
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Actually, Flash can be packaged and run from the desktop no problem. However, few developers really go that route since at that point you are really missing most of the benefits of Flash (no barrier to entry, small download, execution in browser, bookmarking/URLs directly to game, etc.).

EDIT: Pet Forest is a commercial game made by a large studio. It is always good to have large goals, but you will need to aim a bit lower than wanting a game specifically like that, especially if you are just starting out in Flash.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”