The Unity FPS tutorial

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
Callan S.

The Unity FPS tutorial

Post by Callan S. »

I'm trying the FPS tute, come join me in all the problems that come up! >:)

The first came pretty quickly having only gotten to page five of the PDF. I've put in the first person controller cylinder, above the ground in a clear area. When I press play, as the tute says, it falls to the ground, lands, but none of the controls work? WASD, direction keys, mouse, nothing.

One thing is that at the start the tute says to import the standard assets. But all I could find in assets was "Standard Assets (Mobile)". So maybe it's for a mobile phone? Or does the mobile bit not matter and the problem isn't here?

I'm thinking I'll go through the tute in this thread and it can become yet another net resource for anyone else having probs with the FPS tutorial.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
OldRod

Re: The Unity FPS tutorial

Post by OldRod »

In order to move around, you need a character controller. Go to the Assets menu and import the Character Controller package

The "Standard Assets" package was split up into several smaller packages in Unity 3 I believe - it's caused me problems working through some older tutorials too :)

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to add a Physics "Character Controller" component to the mesh you already have (under the Component menu)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

yes in Unity 3 they changed some things. You need to add FPS Input controller to cylinder.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Thanks guys. I think where I went wrong was the whole (mobile) assets. There was a standard assets in the project view (I'm sure I looked before but didn't see it) and so I deleted the previous cylinder and used the non mobile assets and it worked! I think the mobile one might have been waiting for touch screen input or something.

I didn't realise the FPS tutorial was an old one, I'll have to keep that in mind!
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Started building the missile launcher in the tute, but when I shoot it, it fires in the direction I face horizontally, but ignores my vertical view, so if I look up and shoot it still just shoots forward. Is that how the tute is supposed to work, or did I miss something?
alexrules01

Post by alexrules01 »

Im having a guess that the rocket needs to be a child of something. I think I had the same problem, just can't remember!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

try to make it child of camera maybe?
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Well, I've dragged it onto the camera and it's attached. Possibly the code doesn't take vertical angle into account.

Also the tutorial mentions "Standard Assets/Particles/explosion" but that doesn't seem to be in the standard assets anymore?

I'm wondering if I should just go back to my space invaders project that I built up...
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

They split the standard assets up into several packages now.

Go under Assets/Import Package/ and load the Particles package - should be the same ones that were in the Standard package
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Oldrod, you are right, good sir! Imported and explosion is under particles/legacyparticles!

Return to “General Unity”