Specifications

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Last Known Hero

Specifications

Post by Last Known Hero »

I know this question is asked time and time again but usually for MMO development. But for a single player RPG what would you say the poly count for a character could be, for the case of a game that wants to have high graphics. Can Unity handle high polies very well?
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
OldRod

Re: Specifications

Post by OldRod »

I'm just getting started with Unity myself (seriously at least) and from what I'm reading, 1400-1500 polys on an animated model is pretty ideal.

I think you can get away with more depending on what kind of level geometry is around, but that seems to be the standard.
Last Known Hero

OldRod wrote:I'm just getting started with Unity myself (seriously at least) and from what I'm reading, 1400-1500 polys on an animated model is pretty ideal.

I think you can get away with more depending on what kind of level geometry is around, but that seems to be the standard.
Your kidding right? 1400-1500? Theres no way its that low otherwise Unity has hit a new low for me

http://www.gameartisans.org/gamecon/gal ... 8&aw=10901
That model is just a low poly bust and is past that.
Power3DArt

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You don't need to be asking how many polys a character should be, but rather, what is your projected scene poly budget. In a single-player game, you have much more control over what objects are viewable at any given time, so you can typically go much higher than an MMO (which typically low-ball everything to be safe). A character would need to be around 1500 if you plan on having many characters on screen at once, but in a game with relatively fewer characters on screen at a time (such as a game like Gears of War), you could probably go as high as 10k+ easily. Performance isn't all about polys either. Performance is a black art that takes in everything about the game, from poly budget, to physics, to memory allocation, particle effects, etc.

Another reason there will be no golden number is because it also depends on what system requirements your game will have, with lower poly budgets creating more accessible games, and higher budgets being prettier, but requiring high-end gaming rigs. Of course, since I have not done much 3D development, I really could not even give you a ballpark figure, but Unity should be right up there with most modern commercial games and engines.

Here is a good question thread about Unity poly budgets, but as expected, it gives no hard and fast rules. What it does give is some good suggestions, and a push for developers to experiment.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Last Known Hero

Honestly I figured it would be ok to be running 10k characters. I am not having huge maps so I am not worried about having too many polies. After the first response it made me uneasy on how unity would be handling it but I forgot about their bootcamp demo which had a quite large map with rather high poly character.

We'll just see how it goes haha
Power3DArt

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

It doesn't matter with unity, poly wise...

Only suggestion, the better it looks, with the least amount as possible, the better. But again, it doesn't matter...I know it cannot import more then 65k triangles...

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”