Getting Started With C# & XNA

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
Baseball435

Getting Started With C# & XNA

Post by Baseball435 »

Hey everyone welcome to this little tutorial. I recently started programming in XNA, an addon for the C# language. With XNA you can make games for your computer, windows phone, or even the Xbox 360! This all sounds so exciting and the even more exciting thing is, its very very easy to use. So let me redirect you to a tutorial that got me started on my XNA 'adventure'.

Getting Started:

2D Game Development Tutorial

This tutorial comes with the downloadable source code for EACH lesson and teaches you the very basics of developing simple 2D games. As you learn to use XNA, you can even start to make 3D games and your own engines! So goodluck with XNA and if you have any questions, let me know!

~baseball435
Jackolantern

Re: Getting Started With C# & XNA

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't know how I always missed that on App Hub when looking for tutorials. Nice find!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Yeah it's the most helpful tutorial on there because it's explained so well and goes over everything needed to make a game
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Thanks for this! Just curious can you run C# programs on Linux at all or is it just for windows?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You can run some C# programs on Linux with the Mono Project runtime, but it is not made by Microsoft (although they did help some with it), and I think it looms somewhere around the .NET 2.0 level. Nowhere near everything works on it, because a lot of .NET is married to Windows and is deeply reliant on Windows components.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very awesome tutorial! This has helped on my phone project. I also bought the Windows game development book but it does not start so lightly.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Yeah, that is a good one! I haven't worked in XNA much but I'll be bookmarking that for if I do :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

The Hall's disease will have you there soon enough!

BTW did my RTS tutorials help much for what you were trying to achieve, well so far anyways as they are not done or did you go for a different idea?
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:The Hall's disease will have you there soon enough!

BTW did my RTS tutorials help much for what you were trying to achieve, well so far anyways as they are not done or did you go for a different idea?
I never got very far with that project. While looking for engines, tutorials, etc. I ran into quite an extensive amount of Unity information and ended up going back to my Unity RPG that I started a year or so ago. Working on it again now (well, starting it over from scratch pretty much), along with taking the Unity MMO class over at 3DBuzz - lots of great info there. Between that and the Hack and Slash tutorial series, I am getting a great feeling working with the Unity engine, C#, Maya, all that good stuff :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Awesome! glad to see something coming along. While there is no worse feeling than wanting to develop something but not having a platform to do it there is no better feeling than getting started on a new project!

Return to “Tutorials”