People of interest in actual development

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
spawnfestis

People of interest in actual development

Post by spawnfestis »

Hello,

I'm looking for intuitive, intelligent and outgoing people with a bright look on the future.

I'm not really hosting a project recruitment, just merely want to make contacts with most of the more interesting people on this site.
The purpose of this is not only for my own benefit, but for yours too, to net contacts with other indie developers not only at the forum but on MSN & Skype as well.

As I said, there is no current project. But there might be, and I am practically wanting to take on a few interviews.

If you're interested, send me your MSN & Skype usernames/emails and I will add you a.s.a.p.
You should have a somewhat good sense of what it takes to create a game, and you should understand the ambition of making one.

Thank you so much!
Last edited by spawnfestis on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: People of interest in actual development

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

i like this. Great idea.
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:i like this. Great idea.
Thank you, I'm sure you can boost this thread up in some way!
I was wondering, does this website have an irc channel currently?
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

What do you mean..?
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

62896dude wrote:
What do you mean..?
Nothing really, but I'm hoping that more people will enroll in taking a shot at an interview, so that we can (possibly) become contacts, make projects etc. with eachother - and actually finish (obviously very important!). The purpose of the thread is to find educated people that strives for the same thing :)
Last edited by spawnfestis on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

I am 20 years old this year, and I have future plans of running a smaller game service or company, to make me further envloped in the so called "indie-development" business. :)
I also have education in the game industry, I have a 3 year course on my sleeve for game-development in Sweden, and I have made quite a few "basic" projects, but never finished due to lack of inspiration - comrades (yeah, you!) and lack of being able to draw art. I can design websites, and similar things, but just not DRAW the art! :)
You seem to have ambitions on game development. This forum however is not driven with commercial interest, most of us ( aged > 20 && college degree ) have normal day jobs, really. True, most jobs are in the same field, well IT anyway, but regardless, most of the people here are joining for fun. True, if I could be a game dev I`d most definitely switch jobs, but the thing is, the odds are against me of ever becoming a game dev.
The purpose of the thread is to find compatible and competent people
Define compatible and competent please. Compatible cannot be defined, it`s subjective for the most part. Competent is also subject to interpretation. But please elaborate a bit more so we can all have a clear picture on what you think would be a good match.

Another thing: should it not matter equally as much if we`d like to work with you? Even if, for example, I would be both compatible and competent, would I want your msn & skype? What is it you have to offer in return? You claim to want to start an indie game studio, yet you are still like the example you gave in your opening post. You haven`t finished anything yet, you haven`t started a company yet and most importantly, you haven`t shown any quality`s. What are your competencies?
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

All great points Xaleph, and sorry if it sounds like I'm getting on your case Spawn, but another thing, for example, on Losdivinos' Levoni recruitment topic, you were asking if there was any pay in it for people who were willing to join, yet it doesn't look like you are offering anything, it just seems a bit hippocritical (I may have butchered that spelling). Also, you want to see people's portfolios and what they have to show, which actually is a pretty good thing to ask for, but you haven't said anything about what you can show to prove you are worthy to work with the
more interesting people on this site
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Well, I wasn`t trying to offend or anything like that hihi. I can be blunt and upfront on topics like these. And 92dude, he has a right to ask if there`s a commercial interest, we don`t even mention it in our topics mostly because it`s not worth the extra characters to type. It`s a given on the forum usually. Unless there`s a commercial project starting obviously.

Anyway, most of us here are hobbyists, like I said before. And everyone here has their own competencies and most have found a compatible partner to work with. Like 92dude and Nexus for example.

And another thing, we don`t <b>don`t produce</b> anything. It`s more like sharing idea`s, help another out on code and that`s pretty much it. The rest is a bit like showing of what people are working on, some open topics on game dev in general that sort of thing.
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

I can't specify commercial interest on something that is not yet started, I'm sorry if I sound rude in some way, but the purpose is to find educated people within the field, I will edit my topic to rephrase where I'm coming from.

So to speak, the meaning of "compatible" in this sense is someone with the same kind of ambition, and I'm not claiming to be the best guy in here if it came out like that, I have a three years degree, and a lot of interest. That's it. I have never finished or shipped a product as of yet, but I'd really like to.

And with being hypocritical, I guess you can put that stamp on me - if only I had been recruiting for a project.. It's merely a shot at looking for contacts, I'm sorry again if I offended any of you in some way.

Also, I want to put it out there that in my little selfbiography it says I'm from Sweden, you may excuse my poor wording for things. I'd like to believe I am pretty good at English for most of the time, but I am not perfect. :oops:
What are your competencies?
I'm not asking for a full portfolio of yearly shipped products, I'm talking about people that knows how to draw, and people that knows how to program. I'm not sure if you understood the thread, I'm not trying to hate on people, I'm trying to find people with the same ambition. This is how I approach them, this is what I personally would respond and who I'd like to team up with - someone with strong ambition.
I have programmed for years, and me and my friend have worked on a C# MMO which we think we came pretty far with for only two guys, if you'd ask me. So that's my "competences". I program, I know photoshop, I make web applications as a freelancer, I program on a (when I don't work, just like you) daily basis. What else would you want to know? ;)

Most of us here are hobbyists
Surely you would dismiss making money on a hobby, hooo, such a horrid way to live.. :)
Also, you want to see people's portfolios and what they have to show, which actually is a pretty good thing to ask for, but you haven't said anything about what you can show to prove you are worthy to work with the more interesting people on this site
/sigh. Okay. Well my intent wasn't to show off, it was to build interest towards people with the same kind of ambition, still.
And yes, I could show them my stuff, yes, I can tell them what I know, yes, I can prove my knowledge, yes, I don't lie. I don't have to show my portfolio here, do I? It's not like I demanded them to post it here, I was actually encouraging sending their emails, but - of course - when nitpicking there's no remorse.

A simple web game that I made. First I was looking at the browser mmo tutorials, but discovered it wasnt going in my direction and decided to rewrite it completely (a huge thanks to hallsofvalhalla for the tutorials though!)

C# from scratch. MMO client / server architecture. Works flawlessly, changing gear was in the running, creating chars, accounts, running around, chatting, leveling up, etc. was all implemented..
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

It takes time to create these things, and it's hard to show more than this. I wish I could show you all the backend to it, because that's where the work was but I can't.
However, I hope you can see where I am coming from when I'm asking for similar ambitions.. Someone or some people that I can finish a game with, and it doesn't have to be commercial, but that would be awesome!

Return to “Recruitment”