Tactical Browser Game

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
arkh

Tactical Browser Game

Post by arkh »

can anyone teach me how to make a battle system for a browser game which shows a tactical, Grid-based and turn based fight.

If anyone have played this yet then you would know what im talking about.
Final Fantasy Tactics:PS1
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions:PSP
DOFUS:MMO PC.

and some other games.
all i need is some script that allows the generation of a turn based fight with the ff:
1.The fight starts wherein the player setups the location of his/her units in the starting grids.
2.Every turn, all units are allowed to move but are limited by their MOVE points which is affected by footgears.
3.Units Initiate attacks on enemy unit and deal damage through some random number+weapon damage.
4.the fight ends when all enemy unit dies.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Tactical Browser Game

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

give me a few hours and i can work up a few pointers on where to begin. You are wanting to do this with javascript I assume?
arkh

Post by arkh »

im not actually sure if this is possible in PHP or if it looks better on javascript so whatever is better and easier would do.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

well javascript and ajax would be the way to go. Being its turned based a mysql database would work great.

Just store the movement points in a field of the players database.

<?php
"$playerinfo3 = query for player movement";
?>

<script=javascript>
var movepoints = "<?php echo $playerinfo3[movepoints];?>";

then you could do either a array for the squares = to the total movepoints or do them one by one, if (mouseclick)movepoints = movepoints -1

</script

if you are unfamiliar with php i suggest you watch my browser based video tutorials.
Bones

Post by Bones »

arkh wrote:im not actually sure if this is possible in PHP or if it looks better on javascript so whatever is better and easier would do.
http://battleforcesonline.com
I was working with this guy on a similar project to the one you're talking about. (not the link it's just his own site)
Unless what you're talking about is that in every battle it goes to a private instance page?
Or do the battles occur in the games world? That's how mine works.
It's not turn based since it's real time, but each move has a cool down, essentially making the game seem kind of turn-based in a real-time setting.

Halls knows what I'm talking about, anyways all I can say is if it's going to be a tactical game it will probably be isometric?
And if that's the case just getting images to line up in a Z axis just sounds ridiculously hard.

All I can say is if you don't know what you're doing maybe Flash or an actual game engine would be better then attempting to create this in AJAX.
arkh

Post by arkh »

a game engine would be a nice head start for guys like me who don't have a big knowledge about the whole programming thing. like me im only a familiar with a little PHP and some HTML.

oh and about the battle system. what im thinking is that it generates a private battle field for the involved players. it's grid based and it's not time reliant. it can be waited by both sides
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If you have very little programming experience, you may be served well to look into Flash and do some research on the available game frameworks that it has. Halls and I were just talking about this very thing on mmorpgmaker.com the other day. If you go the way of AJAX, you will mostly be on your own (aside from some pointers and maybe a small bit of example code from community members) to build everything from scratch. Flash has been used in game development for much longer, which means it will have much more evolved game code and engines available to start with. Both Flash and AJAX have certain advantages over the other, but for a newcomer wanting to get a game underway quickly, you could start with a much bigger leg-up with Flash due to its existing game background.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Tutorials”