My js&php RPG

Games in development by members. Discuss testing, design, ect.. Each game has its own section
VZdemon

My js&php RPG

Post by VZdemon »

lately i've been working on a small textbased rpg that's much like halls's but enhanced with a bit of javascript. the adress is here http://vzgamez.net16.net/rpg/ it's still pretty much a prototype. but if you want you can make your own monsters and battle em.
well enjoy and give some feedback (even if it's negaive).

thanks
it's VZdaemon on xbox live
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: My js&php RPG

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Looking good so far.

When I hit flee(because the creature was WAAAAY too powerful) it brought me to the shop. The trainer submit button is a small square.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Is e-mail verification is required? I'll give it a try if I can skip that.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, email verification is pretty much useless and is really only considered a barrier to entry these days.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Jackolantern wrote:Yeah, email verification is pretty much useless and is really only considered a barrier to entry these days.
Out of curiousity, why is that?

I usually prefer to use an email verification in my projects - maybe I don't need to?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Because it doesn't do anything beyond maybe giving you a good contact email for later (which is not very valuable for PBBGs). It doesn't keep people out of your game, because they can make 101 new email addresses anytime they want. It also does not link the account to any specific person, either, since anyone can lie on anything they want to when creating a new email.

But even beyond the things that it doesn't do, it is the problems with the things it does. First, it gives potential players an extra few minutes and a click onto another tab before they will play your game. Most gamer's lives these days is in their email, and you may be starting them on a two-hour side-tracked journey through their inbox, after which they won't remember why they even logged into their mail. Second, PBBGs everywhere are dropping email verification, and you do not want to be the last game out there that has an extra hurdle to get started, particularly when that hurdle doesn't do much for you as the developer.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Games don`t really need the email addresses, however it`s allways good as a "protection" against bot, all players are "traceable" but yeah, it shouldn`t have to set as the default option to have it required. However, I would still offer the email field for players losing a password or as a means to an end in case an account gets stolen. Unless you`re aiming at a social media implementation, where all "registrations" are allready handled.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I still take email addresses and usually make a message on the registration page to provide a correct email so you can restore your account if you lose your password or something happens. Then, after the player has been playing for a little bit, I try the email address, and notify them to check it then, if they don't have it their account is not secure, etc. I think that is a better strategy to give them instant gratification to get in the game, because often a player is checking out your game on a whim, and they are gone if they hit a second of resistance. I got that idea from years ago playing Achaea, a fairly popular and unique, commercial text-based MUD. From the start of registering, you can be in the game and playing within about 30 seconds, and then during that first play session the game worries about getting your info to secure the account in the background.
VZdemon

Post by VZdemon »

thanks for trying it out. i've added equipment and fixed some bugs and many other things. i'll upload the new version soon enough so if you want to see it i will post when it's up.
it's VZdaemon on xbox live

Return to “Members Games”