Operation: Terraform

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Perry

Operation: Terraform

Post by Perry »

Project name: Operation: Terraform

Team name: Crashing Sword Entertainment (working name subject to change)

Game outline: This is a browser based game. Basically it is an empty world with some NPCs and other content, but it has plenty of room for exploration and building, which are the main theme of the game. So far I have a hunting, mining and harvesting system in place. I will add fishing and lumbering as well as farming soon. I also have several skills that go along with them, such as zoology, geology, and botany to name a few. I had intended this to be a game where you are more of a scientist on a new planet exploring that is why they are named that, but I have started going in a new direction so they are likely to change. After I release the game for alpha testing I plan to set a forum where feedback can be left and I want to make this truly a game for players. I hope to have them play a part in the game from the very beginning even as early as design stages. My plan is to have a suggestion forum and every few weeks pick the most requested few and have a poll and the feature that is most wanted, I will start adding.

Some story:

Backstory:
"In 2280 as the world is almost completely populated and more people are born everyday, the Government unveils a 30 year old project to make a small planet in a solar system near ours livable. They have converted much of the harsh surface to lush grassy forests, but with the obvious dangers involved with living there first, they decide to send only prisoners until it is deemed 'safe enough'. Everyone who volunteers to go will be granted full freedom upon arrival on Zarma. All that is asked is that the new settlers build and explore and lay the foundations for future civilization to live on this new planet. Are you up to the task?"

When you first create a character:
"As your shuttle makes its final approach to land on Zarma you think about how you got here. All the mistakes you made back on Earth. It finally sinks in. This is a fresh start. Your past was dark, but your future can be bright. Make the most of it. Welcome to Zarma"

Media:
For the time being I am just using halls tiles from the forsaken sanctum game and some of my other(poor) graphics that I made. I hope to find an artist soon to release some screenshots, but for now I am focusing on the actual game.

To-do before alpha:
I have only a few core features I want to add before alpha testing can begin.
  • Admin panel
  • Gathering
  • Building shops
  • Cooking
  • Crafting
  • Leveling
  • *Quests
  • Combat
  • Farming
  • Clans and Clan houses
Red text means completed

Other things - not necessary, but some things I would really like to do.
  • Add more shops
  • Add more items
  • Add bartering to pawn shops
  • Update map
Technology:
The project is in php and mySQL, as well as some javascript.

Any. I am interested to hear people's real thoughts on this and I want everyone to be honest even if its not positive feedback.

Thanks! :)

Update:
*Quests: I plan to make a series of "static" quests that are basically the plot of the story and several smaller subplots. I also plan to develop a system of "dynamic" quests. They will take place within player made towns and villages. They will be generic tasks. An example of a dynamic quest would be 'deliver 10 ore to a mysterious stranger in Bob's Tavern." The location will be randomly selected from all the shops in the game and the item will be randomly selected from all the items and completing the task will deliver a reward. The reward would probably be an amount of money greater than the value of the items and an xp bonus. These would be a simple way to make money and xp and would include all shops in the game even if they are not on the 'beaten path.'
Last edited by Perry on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:47 am, edited 7 times in total.
62896dude

Re: Operation Terraform

Post by 62896dude »

This sounds like it will be a fun, big, and time consuming project! But hey, those are the best kinds! :D

I think if you can get a community of even, say, 50 people on this game at minimum, it could be really fun for all of the players, especially to interact with each other!
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
Perry

Post by Perry »

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

Hey Perry,
This sounds like an intresting project!
What Client/Engine will you be using to develop this game!

Best of Luck!
Perry

Post by Perry »

Sorry forgot to mention that originally. I updated the original post. I'm following halls' tutorials on this site and making it with php and mySQL. I might add some features requiring javascript later on, but for right now its just straight php and mySQL.
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

Nice - good luck
Perry

Post by Perry »

Chromeozone wrote:Nice - good luck
Thanks! :)

I updated the first post some. I am still working on this a lot and today(with some help from the community) finished the cooking system and got the admin panel completed.
Zorber

Post by Zorber »

Sorry I haven't gotten your Logo Done, I can't really think of a design.
Last edited by Zorber on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry

Post by Perry »

It is fine. Do you have any feedback on the game?
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

I like the idea of this game! Can't wait to see it in action!

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”