Website Capture - Made By Me

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Baseball435

Website Capture - Made By Me

Post by Baseball435 »

hey everyone, well i decided to screw around with visual basic for a little while and out popped this program and i thought i would share it. This was made mostly for a different website, called HackLegends which explains the splash screen and stuff. But practially, you type in a url into the textbox and it will give you the source code from that site. Then it will save it automatically if you choose to in both html format and .txt. So here are some screenshots:

Splash:

Main Form:

Source Code Form:

Showing it Saved:

Showing the Folder:

So that is practically my program, if you could give me some feedback that would be great!
Here is the download:
Website Capture

Virus Total Scan:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/rep ... 1307652318

~baseball435
Last edited by Baseball435 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Website Capture - Made By Me

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

hate it in everyway. I hope it overheats your PC.

Try being creative instead of so destructive.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

umm..alright.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Whats the purpose of it? What does it do? What good will it do to us?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, that is some crap if you are actually using it to spoof websites. From what I have seen we are mostly a non-hacking (or gray hat at the worst) community.

EDIT: And what can this do that can't be done with a browser? If it can do batch processing and can crawl an entire site and download the whole thing with nothing more than a URL, then this has many more legit uses than illegit, mostly in the archiving and backing-up or websites that seem to go down often (wish someone had made a solid back-up of the Prairie Games forums, for example).

Don't advertise it as a tool for spoofing websites. All it will really do is let some curious youngsters do something all-to-trackable and get their parents in big trouble.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

i didnt mean for it to be used that way, a moderator on another forum (the one i made it for) edited that in and i just copied and pasted it without noticing it. I really didn't mean for it to happen and didnt mean for it to be used that way.

~baseball435
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I stand by my original comment. Be constructive. Not destructive. because of garbage places like hack legends we as developers have to work twice as hard to build our games and have to remove features because they might be exploitable. It is time to grow up and realize the time of hackers is long gone. I remember the days where hacking was fun and useful, those days ended sometime around the movie War Games. (1983)

This application serves no purpose in my book other than to exploit web sites. I love your enthusiasm to learn and to build and I think you should crapcan those stupid sites and start learning ways to help developers beat hacker wannabes.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

War games was a good movie. And yeah I was just trying out what I could do. I found a tutorial on YouTube that showed how to fetch data from websites and I was interested in it and thought to myself, I could probably make a "view source" application with the option to save it organized. So I tried it and made it. It was really just a tutorial I was following with some things taken out.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I stand by my original comment. Be constructive. Not destructive. because of garbage places like hack legends we as developers have to work twice as hard to build our games and have to remove features because they might be exploitable. It is time to grow up and realize the time of hackers is long gone. I remember the days where hacking was fun and useful, those days ended sometime around the movie War Games. (1983)

This application serves no purpose in my book other than to exploit web sites. I love your enthusiasm to learn and to build and I think you should crapcan those stupid sites and start learning ways to help developers beat hacker wannabes.
Hacking is still fun and useful, http://news.ycombinator.com http://hackaday.com don't let the media force you into merging hacking and cracking.

I don't see how this application is any more exploitative than the view source option in a browser. Honestly, Tools like firebug and Google Chrome's Inspector could be used in a more exploitative fashion than this.

That said, I don't really see how this application is useful either.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

It is not the media that forces me to believe hacking is anything more than exploiting which = cracking. It is all destructive regardless but no point in arguing. In 95-97 I thought I wanted to be a hacker but soon realized the damage I was doing and the people I were affecting. I see the fun in harmless "hacking" but setting up fake websites to gain peoples passwords is just wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I think you building it is great and I am sure you learned from it and are a better coder from it. That is great. I just don't like exploit side of it.

Return to “General Development”